What's new

Our promised new and improved OneDrive

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bit of a bummer, although still competitively priced. I do get really fed up though of companies offering something unlimited, and then back-pedalling later down the line saying everyone was taking advantage of it. Why on earth bother offering unlimited if you don't want them to use it as unlimited. These days anything that is "unlimited" i just see as a marketing ploy.

Doesn't bother me though as my upload speed, like many many others, just doesn't make cloud storage in any way convenient.

OP
K

Kris

Bit of a bummer, although still competitively priced. I do get really fed up though of companies offering something unlimited, and then back-pedalling later down the line saying everyone was taking advantage of it. Why on earth bother offering unlimited if you don't want them to use it as unlimited. These days anything that is "unlimited" i just see as a marketing ploy.

Doesn't bother me though as my upload speed, like many many others, just doesn't make cloud storage in any way convenient.
I believe it was just a ploy to get customers, the old bait and switch trick. Still will be using them as 1TB and office 365 for $6.99 isn't bad or 5 accounts for $9.99. Certainly not what I expected though, still waiting on the improvements they promised us for Windows 10 use...

benjitek

As a 365 subscriber, I'm nowhere near my 1 terabyte limit. I have 50Mbps up/down that in use is actually slightly over 60Mbps -- and find the service indispensable. At $30 less per year than a terabyte of iCloud storage, I get Office as well. I much prefer just being able to work with regular folders on my MacBook and SP2 and have them transparently sync.

That being said, it's definitive bait 'n switch -- glad it doesn't affect me.

Compusmurf

When they took away place holders, onedrive became mostly useless for me and I moved most of my data over to my home NAS that I can access "everywhere".

Best part of that, it's faster than onedrive.

OP
K

Kris

When they took away place holders, onedrive became mostly useless for me and I moved most of my data over to my home NAS that I can access "everywhere".
Best part of that, it's faster than onedrive.
I need to learn about those and build myself one. Do they work on all devices, mainly phones?

Compusmurf

If you configure it correctly and open ports on your firewall, you can access it anywhere you can map a drive or use ftp/sftp.

I would suggest tho, if you're not a professional geek, stick with one of the ready made devices. Ex Western Digital makes one, up to 4TB I believe. Just plug, create you a remote access account and go. They make it pretty simple, but simple is what you get.