What's new

Outlook supports ink

ctitanic

There are a lot of new users coming lately to this forum and some of them do not know what to do with the pen. So here is a thread which only purpose is to show one of those cool things that you can do using the pen: Send handwritten emails.

Outlook detects the Pen and enables a new option in the Tool bar called Ink tool. That allows you to write emails like the one in the next screenshots.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

DanL

Thanks Frank! The tips are much appreciated. The Surface Pro 3 is pretty amazing. I'm still learning all the tricks you can do with it.

JesseDiaz

Frank-When you say DETECTS it...it doesn't automatically start writing without you clicking a couple more times on the ribbon right? Like in OneNote, the pen is automatically detected, plam rejection is enabled, and you can start writing right away without having to click on anything else to allow the pen to actually write

Last edited:

chrsb

I think most Office apps recognize the pen input. I know I used it today for a Word doc that I had to sign.

JesseDiaz

I think most Office apps recognize the pen input. I know I used it today for a Word doc that I had to sign.

Yes they do but not quite the same as OneNote does. I just tested this in Word...

Using OneNote as soon as I take out my open and hit the screen with it, it starts writing...
In Word, I take my pen out and hit the screen it doesn't start writing. I see WOrd recognizes that I have a pen because in the ribbon it has PEN highlighted but I have to click on the highlighted PEN word in the ribbon for it to actually write...

Am I missing something?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Office has supported ink since Office 2003 (as well as Outlook) it has traditionally used its own Ink API but that should change with he One Ink API strategy...

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Frank-When you say DETECTS it...it doesn't automatically start writing without you clicking a couple more times on the ribbon right? Like in OneNote, the pen is automatically detected, plam rejection is enabled, and you can start writing right away without having to click on anything else to allow the pen to actually write

You need to click. When I said detects what I mean is that the ink tool option becomes available.

chrsb

Yes they do but not quite the same as OneNote does. I just tested this in Word...

Using OneNote as soon as I take out my open and hit the screen with it, it starts writing...
In Word, I take my pen out and hit the screen it doesn't start writing. I see WOrd recognizes that I have a pen because in the ribbon it has PEN highlighted but I have to click on the highlighted PEN word in the ribbon for it to actually write...

Am I missing something?

That's how it works for me, there's a drop down with different pens(highlighter, ink, colors).

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Office has supported ink since Office 2003 (as well as Outlook) it has traditionally used its own Ink API but that should change with he One Ink API strategy...

Correct but no everybody knows about it. Now with all the buzz that these devices are getting it's the time to show the world what they have been missing for a long time!:wink: