What's new

Over a year in... any fixes for start up connectivity?

CrippsCorner

I'm still loving my Surface despite it's problems :) and I'm glad to see the Alcantara is holding up great even with daily use (in fact, it's feeling better than ever these days)

So, the problem: Every time the Surface boots, Wi-Fi never works. I have disconnect/reconnect for it to start working. I have tried different routers, different providers, more than one Surface, and different building's networks entirely... always the same result.

Does anyone else get this? It's infuriating, although only takes a few seconds each day. I'm just worried when I eventually hand this to my mum she's going to get so annoyed with it!

fivetoedsloth

This happens to me too with my Surface Pro 2017. It is maddening. 95% of the time, I have to toggle wifi on and off to get it to connect, or else I have to tell it to repair network connection, or else I have to reboot. When I connect to the dock and it runs over Ethernet, it connects fine. It is only WiFi that it fails to connect to known networks. I have selected “connect automatically” but that makes no difference. My colleague has a SP4 that does not have this issue.

I have not bothered to investigate it much, but I think I will do some research and post here if I find any solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@CrippsCorner ,

Must be annoying.

I've included my settings just in case you may spot something on your end ...

Annotation1.png
Annotation2.png
Annotation3.png
Annotation4.png
Annotation5.png
Annotation6.png
Annotation7.png

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

This happens to me too with my Surface Pro 2017. It is maddening. 95% of the time, I have to toggle wifi on and off to get it to connect, or else I have to tell it to repair network connection, or else I have to reboot. When I connect to the dock and it runs over Ethernet, it connects fine. It is only WiFi that it fails to connect to known networks. I have selected “connect automatically” but that makes no difference. My colleague has a SP4 that does not have this issue.

I have not bothered to investigate it much, but I think I will do some research and post here if I find any solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow! Fantastic. Well, not fantastic, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Maybe I should start a case on the Microsoft forums...

Thanks for the information @sharpuser I'll look into it :)

wpcoe

I have no problem connecting to my home's WiFi network, nor with my iPhone connection sharing, but at most public places, like airline lounges, my SP2017 connects with the network but shows "no internet." If I wait, usually just a minute or two, but sometimes *much* longer, it finally makes the internet connection available. Any ideas what might be causing that?

On those same slow-to-make-a-connection-to-the-internet WiFi connections, my iPhone connects and has internet available immediately.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Actually, you're right. I think this is similar to my issue... it definitely hasn't been working in the past, but I am finding now if I leave it for 2-3 minutes it'll finally connect by itself.

Rather frustrating when the first things I do when turning my Surface on is to open Skype & Twitter, but still, maybe I need to get into that old way of booting a PC thinking, i.e. turn it on then go make a cuppa and come back :p

wpcoe

@CrippsCorner ,

Must be annoying.

I've included my settings just in case you may spot something on your end ...

Hmmm. My driver and its files seem to be more current than yours:

Yours:
annotation5-png.9072

Mine:
SP-driver.gif

My guess is that a routine Windows Update did that? I don't recall manually doing any driver update. Next time I encounter the problem, maybe I'll roll back the driver to see if that's the problem.