What's new

Overheating...Lost

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, this is weird.

Was browsing the web in "tablet" mode and suddenly the fan started spinning up pretty hard. Huh, I thought, that's weird.

Opened Task Manager to see what was up and saw CPU usage was at 100%! But here is the weird part. It immediately dropped to 17%. Closed it again and reopened - again 100% then back to 21%. So what the hell is happening here? What is churning my CPU to 100% then immediately backing off once I open Task Manager?

Had Access open in the background and Chrome in the foreground. Temps never got above 60C and the infamous Windows Installer wasn't running. Bizarre.
That's Task Manager...

BTW you should change the Update frequency to Low in Task Manager as the default Normal setting is too high for most normal purposes.

Tip #2 Uninstall XTU and other Monitoring apps, they use too many resources, especially XTU. They are just heating up your device and killing your battery life.

leeshor

I suspect Chrome was the problem and was being suspended when you went to task manager but it may also have been the updater.issue many have been discussing.

mohcho

That's Task Manager...

BTW you should change the Update frequency to Low in Task Manager as the default Normal setting is too high for most normal purposes.

Tip #2 Uninstall XTU and other Monitoring apps, they use too many resources, especially XTU. They are just heating up your device and killing your battery life.

Does XTU run in the background all the time if you installed it? I have not yet, but I thought it might be an application that you run.

While I think the OP's story might be a little exaggerated, I've had my wife ask me from across our living room (to be fair, no TV and minimal ambient noise) "What is that noise?" when my i7 fan starts hitting high speed. It is NOT quiet, but it won't drown out the lawnmower either.

The simple fact is, MY SP3 gets hot, and it gets loud; I cannot speak for anyone else's. It is also underwhelming in terms of performance; I should not see MUI apps hang and force close, especially something as simple as Drawboard PDF. And the Minion game (Minion Rush, maybe?) and MS's own jigsaw puzzle game will almost burn my hands. I understand this is not a gaming rig, nor do I expect it to be, but MUI app store games should not tax an i7. But my usage thus far has been light; Desktop Outlook, MUI IE, and Drawboard are used 80 - 90% of the time.

Yesterday, I did a full factory reset. I have not used it much since then, but I did have Drawboard hang and crash earlier this morning. To be fair again, maybe Drawboard is a poorly coded app. But the performance hang-ups are not isolated to this one app. And like someone mentioned earlier, disabling basic functions, and not using things that are marketed by MS it not acceptable.

I think I have confidence this stuff will get fixed through updates, but I am really on the fence whether to return mine this week before the 30 window expires. My last laptop was a 2006 Dell Core 2 Duo, so it's not like I am coming from a current model Macbook Pro, or something that would be expected to outperform an SP3. I've been holding out for a device like this for literally 2-1/2" years, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed.

Then again, if 99% of other users are not experiencing this, then good for them. But I don't think these problems should be dismissed as isolated.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does XTU run in the background all the time if you installed it? I have not yet, but I thought it might be an application that you run.

It installs services that always run by default. In addition it kicks off PerfTune for what purpose I don't know but that drives high CPU usage when its running.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I have confidence this stuff will get fixed through updates, but I am really on the fence whether to return mine this week before the 30 window expires.

and that would be the intended outcome of paid negative posts, to create Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Legitimacy notwithstanding

Last edited:
and the would be the intended outcome of paid negative posts, to create Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Legitimacy notwithstanding
I don't doubt there are paid posts out there, but I can only speak from my own experiences of the last 3 weeks. I made these observations prior to reading all of this negativity. I don't think I am worried enough to return it, but I am a little bummed. I still really like the device, and the things that work well, work really well. In time, I think the quirky things will go away. And the user base seems like it's growing enough so that forms like these expand with even more helpful users. I am just surprised to experience lag similar to my Android phone and have the sporadic heat and fan issues. Maybe my expectation were just too high.

kundas1

I don't doubt there are paid posts out there.

YES!.. I was once reading an article about this guy that was hired to do just that, he used to frequent certain forums to spread bad press and try to cause doubts and cause concerns to certain individuals to bring a brand name down! and from the article its practiced quit a bit nowadays! apple and another brand was notorious for using this tactic!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
and that would be the intended outcome of paid negative posts, to create Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Legitimacy notwithstanding
However, Microsoft must do better! They make it all too easy for FUD to take hold. If they ever hope to make Surface a viable business unit with profitability these early startup issues need to be all but eliminated. Compensating with a generous return policy isn't going to win the day. Sure you go elsewhere and you will see other vendors products have issues too but that's not the point. yep, they will get it stabilized but you loose so much on first impressions its very difficult to overcome.

I have been very critical if IT projects that slam stuff in and declare victory only to, have users revolt because if problems. Then it costs you three times as much to fix it and you never really win the users back.

kristalsoldier

That's Task Manager...

What is XTU and what does it do? And, this can be shut down with no ill-effect?

Edit: And, where can this be found? In Task Manager? Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is XTU and what does it do? And, this can be shut down with no ill-effect?

Edit: And, where can this be found? In Task Manager? Thanks.
XTU is Intel's eXtreme Tuning Utility and you won't have it unless you installed it, which many here have done. Other monitoring utilities may likewise not be all that helpful on a day to day basis. They are useful in finding out things you couldn't otherwise determine but prolonged use may be counter productive.