What's new

Overheating when using external HDMI screen.

Tsuekasa

I've noticed that my Surface book gets extremely hot to the point where the unit actually force shuts down due to overheating and throttles the cpu when using my external HDMI and duplicating my surface book display.

A little bit about my setup and what I'm doing.

I draw using sketchbook pro and stream using (twitch, etc.) I use a mini HDMI cable duplicating the display to my Desktop and use the desktop the do all the stream broadcasting. So to be clear, the surface book is only running the drawing program and duplicating the screen. I mean the whole purpose to using the external hdmi was so that I don't use the surface book's CPU to do the streaming. I have the i7 dgpu non performance base surface book.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
To make sure I understand the setup - you are streaming via Twitch via the desktop which is receiving a Miracast Stream from the Surface Book? I assume this is to the Connect App.

If this is correct - Miracast Streaming can put a load on the CPU.

OP
T

Tsuekasa

To make sure I understand the setup - you are streaming via Twitch via the desktop which is receiving a Miracast Stream from the Surface Book? I assume this is to the Connect App.

If this is correct - Miracast Streaming can put a load on the CPU.
thanks for the reply. I'm only using a micro hdmi cable to output video to my desktop computer and it's set to duplicate my surface display. So my surface is not running any streaming software only the desktop. This is no difference than hooking up a external monitor to the surface book and setting it duplicate the display. I just don't understand why the surface book is running blazing hot just by doing this.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for the reply. I'm only using a micro hdmi cable to output video to my desktop computer and it's set to duplicate my surface display. So my surface is not running any streaming software only the desktop. This is no difference than hooking up a external monitor to the surface book and setting it duplicate the display. I just don't understand why the surface book is running blazing hot just by doing this.
Your desktop has HDMI in? What does Task Manager say is using the CPU and RAM? How big is the canvass you are using in Sketchbook?

Orlbuckeye

Do you have DGPU? Are you using it? If you do check the Nvidia Control Panel and see what video your using.

OP
T

Tsuekasa

Things I tried so far. I've reinstalled the DGPU/Nvidia graphics drivers from device manager. I played around with the Nvidia control panel quite a bit, I tried making sure sketchbook was running with the dgpu and then tried everything running the dgpu. I still have no idea why this would make a difference if the only thing the computer is doing is outputting video and set to duplicate. I wonder if it has anything to do with the MicroHdmi cable itself ... Did some heavy googling and found this HDMI cable overheating laptop? | TechieHQ for a non-surface product. This is also the display port I'm using Belkin Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter, Black, Supports HDMI 2.0: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets.

Last edited:

ykmike

I find that when I connect to the surface dock that my Surface book gets very hot. I haven't had it on long enough to find out if it shuts down - I use the dock for the ethernet and usb ports and don't have external monitor attached.

JaeMelo

This post is very confusing... Are you trying to say that you're connecting your SurfaceBook to a Monitor or do you really mean a Desktop Computer as mentioned in post #4?! Sorry but if you mean the later, I cannot see the point in connecting a laptop to a desktop via a video cable to do something the desktop could simply do alone; assuming that is even possible.

ykmike

Sorry for the confusion: I was mereley saying that my Surface Book gets more quite hot when I plug it into the Microsoft Dock (which I use the for the additional connectivity it provides).

OP
T

Tsuekasa

The whole point of the setup is so I can stream what ever i'm drawing on my surface book without the surface book using the cpu/gpu of running the streaming software (obs.)

I use the surface book to draw using sketchbook pro, I use a display port(hdmi out) to output the video through a (elgato hd capture card) to my desktop so only my desktop is running streaming software(OBS to twitch). I was using the external monitor as an example because really the only the surface book is doing is outputting video via hdmi and simply using sketchbook pro.

OP
T

Tsuekasa

Look like I solved my problem. Apologize if this was confusing for some to understand, but anyways; it appears that when you use the display port to output video, the surface book uses the DGPU instead of the integrated. The unit now runs much cooler once I switch the setting in the NVidia control panel to run my drawing software(sketchbook pro) back to integrated graphics instead of the dgpu. The surface book only seems to run really hot when you're using both the sketchbook pro and outputting video with the display using the dgpu.

In English. Running a art program with the dgpu and using a display port to duplicate your screen via hdmi causes your surface book to run extremely because both are using the dgpu, still odd but atleast a work around.

Last edited: