What's new

Pairing code for a wireless bluetooth keyboard

ni44mi

Hello,
I have a Surface Pro with which I use the Lenk Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXTF9HU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked fine for many months. Recently, I charged the keyboard and when I tried to link it to the Surface, I was asked for a pairing code. I have tried rebooting but it continues to ask for a pairing code, something that was never required before.

Please help me pair the keyboard with the Surface Pro.

Thank you.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I have never seen a blue tooth device that didn't first need to be paired. I would try 0000 or 0001. It's most often 4 digits

OP
N

ni44mi

Thank you for the quick reply and for the welcome. Both codes did not work.
I do not remember inputting a code. I tried right clicking on the "Bluetooth keyboard" but that did not work too (I did pair a Bluetooth Mouse without any pairing code).

kundas1

some BT keyboards ask for a code, so when your Sp3 shows you a code, you then enter the code on the keyboard and then it should connect and be able to use it...

OP
N

ni44mi

1. The keyboard is very thin and I do not see any battery compartment that can be opened.
2. I tried putting in the 8 digit code that I would need to enter on the keyboard but it always times out before I can type the 4th number.

I do not remember inputting any code when I first connected the keyboard. It was a seamless connection that took all of 3 seconds.

Is there something that got reset on the Surface itself?
Thank you.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried removing and then re-adding the Keyboard from the Devices Control Panel?

kundas1

don't try to pair it in "paired devices" settings you have to goto the Bluetooth settings to pair it, thats what I was doing wrong my first time..

jeffskent

Hello,
I have a Surface Pro with which I use the Lenk Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXTF9HU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked fine for many months. Recently, I charged the keyboard and when I tried to link it to the Surface, I was asked for a pairing code. I have tried rebooting but it continues to ask for a pairing code, something that was never required before.

Please help me pair the keyboard with the Surface Pro.

Thank you.
I've use an Apple Bluetooth keyboard on my Surface Pro for about 2 years now. Mostly it works with no issues. However, it can take me up to 15 minutes to re pair the thing if I update or replace the o/s, as I have done several times.

The Pro always requires a code to pair for me. If the code request times out before you can enter it, which has happened to me at times, then something else is wrong. I've run into this issue several times.

My solution is to take the battery out of the keyboard, re start the computer, make sure there are no other phones or other computers that have Bluetooth enabled, and then try again. Repeat as required.

The actual pairing process can be very tricky and persnickety, as I have found over a long period of time. I believe it is due to the Bluetooth pairing protocol, because I had the same issues with an iPad BT keyboard about 4 years ago. I also think that as the Bluetooth protocol changes over time, these changes may effect how devices pair. I have never seen any description of exactly what the version changes are. If I didn't like the Apple keyboard so much, I would have replaced it years ago.

OP
N

ni44mi

Thank you.

I went to the Control Panel and reset what I could - there was no Bluetooth keyboard listed. Hence, there was nothing to remove. Two people have suggested that I take the battery out of the keyboard. I do not see how I can do that without destroying the very thin keyboard encased nicely in a sown leather sleeve.

I am using the Bluetooth pairing, not the device addition (like a printer)

The one thing I should try is to ensure that there are no other Bluetooth devices around.

Sigh - this is frustrating!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Look in the desktop control panel called Devices and Printers (not Device Manager) or under the MUI Settings....PC and Devices.....Bluetooth

OP
N

ni44mi

That is exactly what I did jnjroach. And it asks for a pairing code; when I click on "I will enter the code on the keyboard,: it gives a 8 digit code and it times out before I even read it. As Jeff wrote above, if that is the case something else is wrong!