What's new

Solved PayPal/Hotmail issue

Alana Boma

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I bought it home, could not access paypal through internet explorer. Phoned my internet service provider- they did some troubleshooting and determined there was a glitch in the surface pro and I should return it to the retailer.
I got a 2nd surface pro 3 and experienced the same issue. I can not get on to paypal.com or Hotmail.com
I have contacted surface pro technical support and they have remotely accessed the computer, factory reset, adjusted internet settings, added paypal to compatible websites, turned off all firewall etc no luck.
They have also phoned me twice both times the call went for more than 2 hours but could not fix the problem and they said they don't see a glitch in the surface pro.
I have tried to open the paypal and Hotmail websites on Firefox and chrome but this doesn't help it still won't load.
Today I finally gave up and returned it to the retailer where they gave me a third Microsoft surface pro 3. They assured me this one was from a different batch and would not have the same issues... but it does.
When I type in the address or Google paypal and click the link it loads a page which states 'this page can't be displayed'
I have an iPad and it loads paypal fine so it seems to just be my surface pro! I'm frustrated that I have spent all this money and I can't use the computer for what I wanted it for!
Please help!!!

malberttoo

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I bought it home, could not access paypal through internet explorer. Phoned my internet service provider- they did some troubleshooting and determined there was a glitch in the surface pro and I should return it to the retailer.
I got a 2nd surface pro 3 and experienced the same issue. I can not get on to paypal.com or Hotmail.com
I have contacted surface pro technical support and they have remotely accessed the computer, factory reset, adjusted internet settings, added paypal to compatible websites, turned off all firewall etc no luck.
They have also phoned me twice both times the call went for more than 2 hours but could not fix the problem and they said they don't see a glitch in the surface pro.
I have tried to open the paypal and Hotmail websites on Firefox and chrome but this doesn't help it still won't load.
Today I finally gave up and returned it to the retailer where they gave me a third Microsoft surface pro 3. They assured me this one was from a different batch and would not have the same issues... but it does.
When I type in the address or Google paypal and click the link it loads a page which states 'this page can't be displayed'
I have an iPad and it loads paypal fine so it seems to just be my surface pro! I'm frustrated that I have spent all this money and I can't use the computer for what I wanted it for!
Please help!!!

Hi Alana, welcome to the forum!

Would you start by telling us, have you tried connecting to those sites at a different location? For instance, Starbucks WiFi instead of your home WiFi?

OP
A

Alana Boma

No I haven't because I assumed if PayPal loads on my iPad at home it should load on my Surface pro! Do you think this is worth trying?

malberttoo

Ha ha well this is kind of a strange one! If it was me, I would do it, just for curiosity's sake!

Also, what software did you install before going to those sites? Specifically, did you ever try to go to either one of them right after the clean install/ refresh of your SP3?

OP
A

Alana Boma

I will try it from a Wifi hotspot- thank you for this suggestion :)

I have tried it from a clean new computer/straight after an install/ after downloading firefox and before and after having virus software put on the SP3

malberttoo

I will try it from a Wifi hotspot- thank you for this suggestion :)

I have tried it from a clean new computer/straight after an install/ after downloading firefox and before and after having virus software put on the SP3

Let us know how it goes!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please help!!!
Did the service provider elaborate any on this so called *glitch*???

What Router are you using (Brand , Model Number) and is it yours or was it provided by the Service Provider?

So... entering Paypal.com into the address bar and hitting go/return gives you ... Page cannot be displayed???
Best to enter the address directly into the address bar and not use a search as you might be hijacked to another site that way. Same for Hotmail.com??? of course Hotmail redirects to another site, "Live.com" in my case I assume that's universal.

You could be a victim of Router hacking, DNS hacking, or a variety of other issues unrelated to the Surface that may not affect a different Browser or OS which is why those clues from the Service Provider would be important to know. BTW who is your Internet Service Provider?

OP
A

Alana Boma

Ok.. so I have taken the SP3 to my mother in laws and connected to her Wifi. I could not get PayPal to load on IE so i downloaded Google Chrome and PayPal worked no problems.

Took the SP3 home and tried to load paypal on Google Chrome- nothing. Will not load as usual.

I use Westnet as my ISP (I am limited as we are considered rural although only just)

I have a Netcomm Modem NB5plus4W - it is fairly old but has always worked fine and i have never had a problem accessing PayPal until getting the new SP3

I am now waiting for a call back from Westnet to see what they think the problem is! They never specified the first 'glitch' comment other than the settings of the surface pro were not correct. Seems that it could be their glitch- we'll soon find out!

OP
A

Alana Boma

Just spoken with westnet- they jumped on remote access.
Confirmed it is nothing in my modem settings and appears to be a security issue.

The lady from westnet would type ping paypal.com in command prompt and it would time out.
She tried another secure website (a bank) it also timed out, lastly trying yahoo.com and this worked although she stated yahoo.com is also a secure website.

I jumped on my iPad and again PayPal loaded so westnet couldnt work out what was going on, by paypal loading on my ipad this confirmed it isnt a block through my home internet but definitely some setting in the SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
lots of sites are configured to not respond to Pings, any support person worth their salt would know that.
I don't get any response to a Ping of paypal.com either.

OP
A

Alana Boma

Attachments

• cmd.PNG
    cmd.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 572