What's new

PC Question: Cant Detect Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

JoeNathan78

Hello All,

I know this isnt the right place to post PC questions but I am having no luck on the other forum.

I am having an issue with my wireless display adapter. I cant get my pc to pick up the adapter.

My build specs identical to this build
How I Built My Custom Photo/Video Editing PC for Under $800

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Black Edition
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 240 2GB DDR3
4Gb Ram
Windows 8.1 – Updated as of last night

The issue is pairing the device. For some reason, I cant even get it to show up on my “Add Devices” list. I click "Add Device" but it doesnt find any devices. At one point, I picked up a phone, so it CAN detect devices, but for some reason it doesn’t see the adapter.

Ive updated windows to the most recent update and still cant get the thing to work. The TV shows the adapter and says "ready to connect", but when I open the wireless display app (Which I downloaded from the WinStore) it says that the device is not connected/paired.

Not sure if it matters, but I was able to detect my chromecast through the same computer, although that is a wifi connection (I think).

Today, I brought the Microsoft adapter with me to work and verified that the adapter does work with my buddy’s android phone. Downloaded a miracast app and it connected instantly.

Is there another way I can try to find the device with the computer? What else can I try? I looked for solutions online and found nothing helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Jonny

OP
JoeNathan78

JoeNathan78

That is an older Card, I don't see that it is Miracast Capable, it would need to be a card that supported Miracast or Intel's WiDi v. 4 or later. You also need to make sure the video card is Miracast Compatible....
Well that explains it.

Can I keep the current card and simply have a USB wifi for Miracast? or will it conflict?

Also, can you recommend a wifi card or wifi usb that is miracast compatible? I searched for a bit but couldnt really find one that was clearly miracast compatible. I actually found my current card in one of my searches..

Thanks for the help Jeff!!!!

OP
JoeNathan78

JoeNathan78

Jeff,

Will the intel card be compatible with my build (AMD/Asus)?

Also, the Mini-PCIe doesnt appear to support windows 8. Or is it something I shouldnt worry about?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff,

Will the intel card be compatible with my build (AMD/Asus)?

Also, the Mini-PCIe doesn't appear to support windows 8. Or is it something I shouldn't worry about?
The one I linked to supports Windows 8

From the description:
Supported Operating Systems: Win7, Win8, Linux

As far as the compatibility with an AMD/ASUS MoBo, it should but who knows....you can also find a Broadcom or even the Marvell Adapter....