What's new

Solved Pen bug in version 1703 of Windows 10

Jake12514

I have an old calendar app called Almanac (no longer available) that has worked through all versions of Windows since it was introduced, that is until v.1703 of Windows 10 on the Surface Book - Now there is a very specific bug: The pen no longer works on the scrollbars of the app. The pen works on every other part of the app, and the trackpad works on the scrollbars (as well as every other part of the app). It's only the pen on the scrollbars that has stopped working. And yes I've tried several pens, and have gone through this whole upgrade to 1703 (and rollback to 1607) a couple of times, and (with MS Tech Support) made sure I have all the other latest updates, and driver updates.

@Microsoft Engineering: So what change was made to the pen driver in 1703 ?

None of the newer calendar apps that I've tried have all the features of Almanac. Anyway, I have my calendars going back to 1992 in Almanac files, and I'm not going to just abandon them. And anyway, the newer calendar app could be abandoned in the future as well. I only purchased the SB after verifying that Almanac worked flawlessly in Win-10.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this, I will gladly e-mail copies of Almanac to so you can see what I'm talking about; there are no licensing nor copyright issues.
-------------------------------------
(update: After applying all Windows updates up to Oct 8, 2017, the bug still there, so I again rolled back to 1607)

Last edited:
OP
J

Jake12514

Initially (Nov, 2017) this appeared to be fixed in v1709, but after the next reboot the pen stopped working altogether ! I saw many reports of the same problem. So I rolled back to 1607 again, and turned off Windows Update service for a couple of more months. Mid-January 2018, I allowed updates to resume again (including, I noticed some firmware updates), and I'm now on 1703 and the bug really is gone !

Last edited: