What's new

Pen Button Remapping

felovat

I have a surface book, latest drivers, and version of both windows and the surface app. I had the option but then I did a fresh install and re-updated everything but now the button remapping option is now gone. Is anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    184.3 KB · Views: 486
OP
F

felovat

I'm pretty sure I said I updated the app. Either way I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    490.2 KB · Views: 474

ncameron

Curiouser and curiouser; that is the current version number, but you are definitely missing the Pen Button functionality options that this version should have.
I suggest you delete it and reinstall...again...

OP
F

felovat

This is how you fix it if anyone has the same issue.
I did. Eventually opened a PSS w/ Microsoft. There was an update (TH2) released in November that included a lot of the fw upgrades that for some reason weren't being applied to my SP4 (possibly work GPO conflicts). Anyways, they suggested just reinstalling as an update (in-place) using the media creation tool. Created new ISO, ran install as In-Place Upgrade, and fixed my issue. Their full response below...

So , Th2 refers to Threshold 2- of Windows 10. This is a major upgrade from the previous version and it was released last November.

Link : First Major Update for Windows 10 Available Today

Ideally . the TH2 upgrade should appear if you expose the device to the Online Windows Update . However , we can also use the Media Creation Tool to spin up a Windows 10 updated ISO with Th2 , and upgrade the present machine inplace.

Link : Windows 10

flar

I'm seeing the same thing as well on my brand new SB (brand new in that it was replaced today at the MS store). I have what someone above said was the latest version of the Surface app, but it doesn't show the pen button options.

As I just did 2 major reinstalls of the System (the initial configuration out of the box ran into problems with updates not installing and then an odd freeze on startup so I reset it and installed everything again), I'd like to avoid having to do another install even from the media creation tool.

The Windows Update history shows that 1511 successfully installed as did the cumulative update for it (KB3144756) and the 2/17 hardware update. The installs were all clean on the first try after I reset it.

One thing I noticed that may have some relevance here - when I first noticed that the Surface app didn't have the options I went to the Store to update it and the Store was in the middle of downloading and installing updates for about a dozen store apps. In fact, it was already stalled with the Surface app update partially downloaded. So, when all of the other apps downloaded and updated and the Surface update was still stalled, I killed it so I could restart and try again, but the update stopped showing up at all. Now the Surface app no longer shows up in my list of installed apps in the Store and if I manually search for it, there is no Update option. This would make sense if the version I have (10.0.342.0) was not the latest, but above someone claimed that this was the latest. But then why was the Store even attempting to download an update if this is really the latest version?

Someone mentioned uninstalling it and installing it again. How do you uninstall a Store app? It doesn't show up in the Programs and Features control panel which is how I'm used to uninstalling applications.