What's new

pen creates random marks in the handwriting panel

tepollack

Here is the problem I am having. When I use my pen to start writing on the first line on the handwriting panel, I often get random marks on the left hand side of the second line. Most often these marks get turned into "Periods". I have to erase them to get rid of them.

I took my surface to the local Microsoft Store. They confirmed the problem and started the process of replacing my Surface. While I was waiting (it takes awhile), I discovered that every Surface Pro 3 in the store had the same problem. The Assistant looked the other Surface Pros and told me that it probably was an issue in the software. Since the replacement process had already started, I got a new Surface -- which had the same problem.

I went on line to support. They wanted me to run through the typical problem solving -- calibrating the pen etc. Other than that, they weren't very useful. I asked if this was a known problem but did not get an answer.

Anybody else have this issue? Anybody solve it?

Tom

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is an issue with the Windows 8.1 Ink Interface - typically on the Desktop and rarely on a MUI App. I know the Windows Team is working on it for Windows 10...

bluegrass

Forgive my lack of understanding, but where or what is the handwriting panel? I don't know of an app called the "handwriting panel". Do you mean OneNote or any application that allows you to handwrite in?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forgive my lack of understanding, but where or what is the handwriting panel? I don't know of an app called the "handwriting panel". Do you mean OneNote or any application that allows you to handwrite in?

I believe this is with the onscreen keyboard where you can select normal, split, or pen input (to be translated to text)

OP
T

tepollack

Its not in One Note. The Handwriting panel is one of the touch keyboard options. You would use if you were using the pen to enter text into something like a Word Document. Unlike One Note, it immediately converts ink into text. You then click on Insert to place the text into the document.

Tom

OP
T

tepollack

Thanks for the response. I wanted a confirmation that it wasn't just a problem with my Surface. Also sorry for the double reply -- I hit post prematurely.

Tom

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the response. I wanted a confirmation that it wasn't just a problem with my Surface. Also sorry for the double reply -- I hit post prematurely.

Tom
Its trying to interpret you palm occasionally, because the input also works on Capacitive Tablets as well, so if you palm beats the pen it will give you a stray mark...