What's new

Pen Issues

I just got an i3 SP3 on Sunday. I've been noticing the pen starts to write a bit off at random times. Rounded parts in letters seem to come out more straight, strokes are missed, and parts of letters come out squished. I can't seem to replicate it and it just randomly happens. Also, when it happens, every so often the pen hover tip will dip about an inch below where the pen is, disappear for a second, then come back. This is happening in onenote desktop.

Oddly, the battery that came with was completely dead, so I've already put in a new battery. Has anyone had any similar experiences or solutions?

I've added a picture bellow with some of the issues I'm referring to. It seems to happen for a few minutes, then goes away, and randomly comes back.

Edit: Added another picture. You can see other areas my letters are coming out weird. I don't have the greatest handwriting, but it has never looked that bad on Wacom devices (or Vaio Ntrig devices). Just got off with tech support. They just said to take it into a Microsoft store and try a different pen. That could take a while since I can't replicate the issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    190.9 KB · Views: 892
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    191.5 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:

Liam2349

Looks like the same letters - n, a, u - can't tell if there are more, sorry haha.

Perhaps try practicing these?

OP
S

Sher the Love

MS store just replaced the tablet and pen. Still having the same issue. Still happens on and off. I attached a picture comparing my handwriting with it acting normally and then messed up. Anyone experience anything similar with a solution?

Edit: uploaded with screenshot instead of picture

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    150.5 KB · Views: 612
Last edited:

Liam2349

MS store just replaced the tablet and pen. Still having the same issue. Still happens on and off. I attached a picture comparing my handwriting with it acting normally and then messed up. Anyone experience anything similar with a solution?

Edit: uploaded with screenshot instead of picture

So are you saying you write the letter, then it warps?

vcee

I am having a strange issue with pen. When sp3 is plugged into ac power the pen writes like crap missing strokes in OneNote (both metro and non metro version) and when the sp3 is running on battery it writes like a charm... anyone else experiencing this? I have in i7 512gb model...I tried replacing pen and that didn't work.

While I cannot say I have a specific problem with the pen, I can say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed by mine. This may sound crazy, but I don't notice much performance difference compared to my Note 2 phone. I notice the same lag with the SP3 as the Note 2; the ink lags behind the pen tip just enough to be annoying and imprecise. Then again, maybe it's the tiny crosshair cursor that I notice lagging behind.

If I quickly wave the pen back and forth while hovering over the screen, there is a very noticeable latency between the pen tip and cursor. Maybe this is normal, but I expected more "instant" response.

az1787

So, I received my SP3 i3 here in Italy. I have a "rendering" problem with the pen in OneNote.
When I use OneNote (either metro or desktop), the pen has a sudden a little 'dirty and edgy which is already noticeable only at 100% view. If you use Windows Journal or Microsoft Word tract edgy as it is now clean, rounded, just a moment after the pen has written a letter and so on.
What does determine "the dirty rendering defect" in OneNote? I noticed that my VivoTab Notes 8 cleans pen's lines immediately OneNote.
I tried also to disintall the bluetooth pen and to reinstall is, but nothing :-/

Liam2349

While I cannot say I have a specific problem with the pen, I can say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed by mine. This may sound crazy, but I don't notice much performance difference compared to my Note 2 phone. I notice the same lag with the SP3 as the Note 2; the ink lags behind the pen tip just enough to be annoying and imprecise. Then again, maybe it's the tiny crosshair cursor that I notice lagging behind.

If I quickly wave the pen back and forth while hovering over the screen, there is a very noticeable latency between the pen tip and cursor. Maybe this is normal, but I expected more "instant" response.

The cursor does lag when I test hovering in OneNote, however the ink doesn't when I put pen to Surface.