What's new

Pen keeps double clicking

ArtistMeli

I have this issue as well, and it is infuriating. I bought the SPro4 to use for digital art, and the constant double-clicking makes it almost impossible to use for that purpose. I have tried it in multiple programs, and it's worse in some than others. Nothing I've tried has corrected the issue, and I am at my wit's end over it.

avengre

Same issue. Its not the keystroke repeat function as i have turned that way down. The pen seems to. Reregister a click sometimes so you get two separate keystrokes... makes it very hard to use the OSK to type.

aki021294

I have it too. Use SP4 for drawing, the double click issue occurs frequently and I even can't open options on menu bars with it, or any options designed with on/off status and suddenly click occur while I'm still dragging. It's troublesome.

john3_16

We use the sp4 for a data recording program and sketching program. We though maybe the double click was because of programs that were written in house...guess not. It is very frustrating!

Mastermemorex

This double clicking also happens to me. It almost never happens when I have the surface in vertical position, but happens very frequently in horizontal position.
I do not have any disability or shacking hands, but it has a very easy mechanical explanation. When you hit a hard surface the pen tip bounces. Think a ball that drops on the floor. This is mistakenly interpreted as a double click.
I don't think there is any workaround, except use your finger instead. The solution is either Microsoft make the tip more elastic, maybe with a rubber cover, or recognize that the double click gesture is not for tablets.

BigRalphN

The issue is maddening to say the least. I have spent hours with Microsoft and the have no intention of fixing it. It "IS NOT" because of pen bounce. as suggested. As stated Microsoft will just say its not designed for typing. I even said I was filing a better business claim which most companies hate but they said go ahead. Samsung can release the Galaxy Tabs with S Pens with zero issues. But I need Windows for my recording studio integration. Their answer is ridiculous to me. Instead of the pen use the finger. But here is the rub. It will, on rare occasion, still do it with your finger. And sometimes the on screen keyboard gets unresponsive with your finger. Basically I have a $1000 worthless piece of junk.

donthedragon

GET THE PEN TIP KIT!! I had the same issue, maddening indeed. I bought the pen kit, changed it to the yellow tip and so far it's been flawless, so far I couldn't replicate the double click issue. All of you with the same problem should try it!

smithrob0703

In addition to the "double click" issue both of my SP4 computers would stop responding to both pen and touch input. After numerous phone contacts and Microsoft Store visits, I decided to make a last stand in my local store. After the usual diagnostic routine again revealed no problems with either computer, they replaced both pens. This did not "fix" the problem so I returned and asked for the same support person. I made it clear I was not going to settle for anything less than a replacement of both computers. He immediately relented and in the month since then, I have had zero issues with writing and drawing with either the pen or touch. The "double click" issue still happens very rarely but is much improved and is no longer an issue for me.

kent_1965

I just got the SP4 and have this issue. I remember a fix for the exact same problem with my old windows tablet. Increase the keyboard repeat delay. I applied this to my SP4 and it completely solved the double tap issue. Seems MS has been having this problem for at least five years on numerous Windows tablets. You'd think they could have figured it out by now. Shame.

Open the Windows Start Menu and click on the gear icon

Windows-10-Keyboard-Repeat-Rate_67b44ce5775941a6964e9023030c6bbe.jpg

Select “Devices” item in Windows Settings

Windows-10-Keyboard-Repeat-Rate_0d8710f002224579b2eda9592ec5f270.jpg

Scroll down and click on “Devices and printers”

Windows-10-Keyboard-Repeat-Rate_dd2950724ea9497f96b616eb29da5f4a.jpg

Find your keyboard item in the Devices and Printers windows and right click on it, the choose Keyboard Settings from the menu that appears. NOTE: if you are in tablet mode you can right click on "surface pen" and the "Keyboard Settings" will be available from there.

Windows-10-Keyboard-Repeat-Rate_9344c6123b074b53bc6f4768c5abe531.jpg

Click on “Speed” tab in the Keyboard Properties window

Windows-10-Keyboard-Repeat-Rate_e76d2fc0692e4ef7892de2b2d9a5f5cd.jpg

You can adjust the repeat delay (the length of time the computer waits before it starts repeating a key)
I put the slider all the way to the left "Long".

Windows-10-Keyboard-Repeat-Rate_cf5aef86e6aa4476a60818473969b937.jpg

Click "Apply".

Click on “OK” .