What's new

Solved Pen not writing - Purple button working

Zo Shah

Hey guys. My Surface Pro 3 pen is currently not working. It worked fine for the few weeks I've had it. The purple button still opens One Note, but the pen doesn't write. I can't tell if the other buttons are working since I haven't been able to write anything. I'm not sure what happened. Any tips to fix this? I tried pairing the pen to the tablet again, but no luck. any help would be appreciated! Thanks

ctitanic

Pairing wont fix anything because the purple button is working. The pen has two parts that work separately.

Try removing and putting back the AAAA battery.

Tellen

I had the same problem, set up my new SPro3 on Friday left it on my desk over the weekend, came back on Monday to find the pen still pairs with the surface but wont write. Turns out the AAAA battery died, confirmed it with a voltmeter, don't know where I'm going to get another AAAA battery.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The writing part of the pen does not use Bluetooth. It operates by inducing an electrical field around itself and your hand. The screen then finds the center of that field. Replace that battery.

AAAA batteries are not common yet.

For choosing the AAAA instead of an AAA, I give Microsoft a CCCC

... minus.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The writing part of the pen does not use Bluetooth. It operates by inducing an electrical field around itself and your hand. The screen then finds the center of that field. Replace that battery.

AAAA batteries are not common yet.

For choosing the AAAA instead of an AAA, I give Microsoft a CCCC

... minus.
AAA would have been too fat for a pen.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
AAA would have been too fat for a pen.

Okay, that's fair. But i kinda would like a fatter pen. That's why this works for me:

aIMG_6153.jpg

bIMG_6153.jpg

cIMG_6155.jpg

JoshB

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use my pen often - and am on the same AAAA battery for 7 months, now. Got a good one, I suppose.

But at that rate, @JoshB, by time you are finished with your 24, the batteries might be available from a shop on Mars.

JoshB

Same here sharpcolorado. It is interesting how many battery problems I have seen, and have not come across it myself, especially with how much I use my pen! I think Microsoft bought some bad batteries from somewhere, heh.