What's new

Solved Pen not writing - Purple button working

saquanem

Hey guys. My Surface Pro 3 pen is currently not working. It worked fine for the few weeks I've had it. The purple button still opens One Note, but the pen doesn't write. I can't tell if the other buttons are working since I haven't been able to write anything. I'm not sure what happened. Any tips to fix this? I tried pairing the pen to the tablet again, but no luck. any help would be appreciated! Thanks

For the people who tried taking out the battery, pairing and unpairing via bluetooth and restarting the surface pro itself (shutdown and restart by pressing power and volume key for 15seconds), go into Device Manager (by typing it into Cortana) and disable/ enable any and all drivers that have to do with the touch screen and/ or pen. I did all of them and still wasn't working UNTIL I disabled the "Intel(R) Precise Touch" (and enabled it afterward). This option is in the Human Interface Devices option.

shahbaz.nihal

hi....my surface pen does not write. But the purple button is working. i tried all software fixes suggested here but it still did jot work. I checked the battery with a voltmeter and it gave some 0.450V so I guess it has died. I could not find the AAAA energizer batteries in Karachi Pakistan but I was able to find some brandless AAAA batteries but it has weird contacts. I guess the issue are the contacts? could there be something else which is wrong? Should I check for some other kind of damage?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
hi....my surface pen does not write. But the purple button is working. i tried all software fixes suggested here but it still did jot work. I checked the battery with a voltmeter and it gave some 0.450V so I guess it has died. I could not find the AAAA energizer batteries in Karachi Pakistan but I was able to find some brandless AAAA batteries but it has weird contacts. I guess the issue are the contacts? could there be something else which is wrong? Should I check for some other kind of damage?
I would import AAAA batteries or have someone ship you some. There are some 9Volt Batteries that use AAAA inside but the dissection needs to be done carefully - there are videos on YouTube on the process...

Sybull

I had a similar issue. I simply replaced the AAAA batteries (which I bought from maplin) and it is all working now.

D1esel

I'm experiencing a similiar issue. My pen stopped working so I changed the battery and now I can click the button and get one note to appear but nothing else happens. The pen won't write nor will it respond when I touch the screen

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Some Windows 10 or firmware updates can interfere with the screen interface for the pen, although the Bluetooth function still works.

Do this:
1. Remove the pen from Bluetooth devices.
2. Restart your PC.
3. Pair the pen (hold button for 6 seconds until light glows, then confirm pair on the PC).

D1esel

Some Windows 10 or firmware updates can interfere with the screen interface for the pen, although the Bluetooth function still works.

Do this:
1. Remove the pen from Bluetooth devices.
2. Restart your PC.
3. Pair the pen (hold button for 6 seconds until light glows, then confirm pair on the PC).