What's new

Poll Pen use cases?

How useful do you find the Surface Pen?

• Total voters

ctitanic

The Surface without a pen is just another iPad!

The Pen is what makes the Surface the best tablet in the market. But it's not just the pen but the active digitizer from Ntrig. You can buy one of those capacitive pens and use it in the iPad and the experience does not come close to the one of using the pen in the Surface.

That said. I'm writing this post with my pen. In fact, all my posts (2133) in this forum have been written with the pen. I don't use the Keyboard. the on screen keyboard is enough for those cases when I need one.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I purchased the pen and use it mainly when I am in OneNote. I was hoping that it was more usable, because if I try and X out of screens the pen doesn't facilitate the closing with a tap to the corner. And I was hoping that when writing that the pen had an option that would convert script to text (more for being able to conserve space on a page). o_O

The pen and surface can do all of those things..

I use the pen when possible to interact with the screen rather than my fingers, because I hate smudges. But the real power for me lies in taking notes when I meet with someone in my office. I am the director of a mens addiction recovery facility, and meet often with the guys for one-on-one coaching sessions. Typing notes in a meeting on a screen is just too awkward...writing them with the pen is
natural... yet preserves them online for me.

malberttoo

I use the pen when possible to interact with the screen rather than my fingers, because I hate smudges. But the real power for me lies in taking notes when I meet with someone in my office. I am the director of a mens addiction recovery facility, and meet often with the guys for one-on-one coaching sessions. Typing notes in a meeting on a screen is just too awkward...writing them with the pen is
natural... yet preserves them online for me.

To me, someone writing notes as I talked to them always felt more "personal", whereas someone typing while I talk feels clinical. Several customers have told me they notice the difference that I write notes on my SP3 during meetings, rather than typing away on a notebook.