What's new

Picked one up today

OP
raqball

raqball

Okay, my bad for being a noob and mot explaining myself properly.

I set up Outlook 2013 (the one that opens on the windows desktop) and I now see the font slider you were talking about. Mucho better now.

I assume since it does not have a live tile that I won't know about new email as it arrives?

Again, apologies for my noob'ness..

Now I need to find a way to get the zoom in new emails to stick / save so I don't need to adjust it for every email :)

Last edited:

ipaq_101

In the outlook desktop app, go to the ribbon:

View tab, veiw settings, other settings, change the font under column font, row font, and auto preview font.

OP
raqball

raqball

In the outlook desktop app, go to the ribbon:

View tab, veiw settings, other settings, change the font under column font, row font, and auto preview font.

Closer.. Changing column and row font size made the left panel (where the sender and email subject is listed) bigger but it did not effect the text on the right ride (where the body of the email is) Also, I don't see a setting there for auto preview.

Greatly appreciate the help.

OP
raqball

raqball

I think I am happy with email for now.

The metro mail app still gives notification and I can still see the notification on the lock screen. The only thing I lose using Outlook on desktop is the live tile. Not a big issue.

Pinch to zoom / expand works as it should in Outlook on the desktop. It resizes and formats the text to properly wrap in the box area. With the metro mail app I can also pinch to zoom / expand the text size but it does not format the resized text to properly wrap in the box area. Did what I said make sense? I hope I explained it correctly.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and to all who helped.

malberttoo

Okay, my bad for being a noob and mot explaining myself properly.

I set up Outlook 2013 (the one that opens on the windows desktop) and I now see the font slider you were talking about. Mucho better now.

I assume since it does not have a live tile that I won't know about new email as it arrives?

Again, apologies for my noob'ness..

Now I need to find a way to get the zoom in new emails to stick / save so I don't need to adjust it for every email :)

EVERYONE starts out as a noob in something. NO worries! :cool:

Usually, the app that run in the Start/Metro/Modern environment (where all the live tiles are) are referred to as Modern, Metro, Start, MUI, or RT. That's a lot I know, but fortunately, the only other environment is only referred to as Desktop. So from your Start environment, there's a live there named Desktop, and that will bring into what you were probably familiar with with Windows 7 or XP.

That's where I use Outlook. While you have the Desktop open, notifications will work like you were used to seeing them before, but when you have the Desktop minimized, even if Outlook was still open, you won't get notifications any more.

Let me know if that helped or made things worse for you...;)

OP
raqball

raqball

Yes that was helpful, thank you. So metro is the tile area and desktop is the win 7 area. Got it! :)

I left the metro mail signed in and configured but changed the default mail to Outlook Desktop in settings. I am getting notifications of new mail in metro and on the lock screen from the metro mail app. Then I just click on the Outlook Desktop icon that I added to my metro tile area.

Does that make sense?

malberttoo

Yes that was helpful, thank you. So metro is the tile area and desktop is the win 7 area. Got it! :)

I left the metro mail signed in and configured but changed the default mail to Outlook Desktop in settings. I am getting notifications of new mail in metro and on the lock screen from the metro mail app. Then I just click on the Outlook Desktop icon that I added to my metro tile area.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense, good job! As long as it's working for you and you're happy with it.

When Microsoft first came out with Win 8, they called the Start environment Metro, but then a few months later for some reason changed their mind and told everyone "hey we're not calling it that anymore". So now it's Modern, or MUI, or whatever. But a lot of the cool kids still say "Metro"...:cool:

bluegrass

The only thing I might add is that you don't need to leave the Metro mail program open for it to update the live tile. I'm glad you purchased Office 365 or you wouldn't have had the pinch/spread Outlook 2013 like you wanted.

OP
raqball

raqball

The only thing I might add is that you don't need to leave the Metro mail program open for it to update the live tile. I'm glad you purchased Office 365 or you wouldn't have had the pinch/spread Outlook 2013 like you wanted.

Yes I did figure that part out and I've even removed the live tile from the metro screen area. I still get the popup notification in the upper right and I still get notification on the lock screen.

I am really liking Windows 8 much more than I thought I would. I've been avoiding it because I was sure I would hate it.

I have a friend with a Nokia Icon and she let me play with it this morning. I am actually thinking about going to VZW and picking it up.

I am impressed with Windows 8 and super pleased with my Surface Pro 3 purchase! :)

OP
raqball

raqball

I really started to enjoy Win 8 once I got my SP3.

My sons Windows 7 computer is an all in one with a huge touch screen. I don't know if Win 8 would work as well on it as it does on the Surface Pro.

I might put it on there and see.