What's new

Pics of the New Dock?

Rvacha

Somehow I think plugging in power, USB, and displayport will be faster than getting the dock sides to line up with the connectors

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It slides in with no fuss, push the sides in and you're done, its so much easier than the old ThinkPad docks....

cmergel

I actually like the design and look, but I only see one display port on the back. Where are the dual HDMI ports on the dock? Come on.................. Can you run dual monitors on one display port? I don't think that I have seen a splitter before.

So it looks like everything is powered the USB slot. Is this DisplayLink software to power video? Not a fan....
Display over USB using DisplayLink is mediocre at best.

apoc_reg

What happened to the increased functionality of the 'accessory spine' on the SP????? Suddently we need physical connecttors into all the ports of the thing, talk about lazy and un-dignified!!!!

Rvacha

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Either the spine couldn't provide the needed data bandwidth, or they decided most people will dock with a cover attached, which of course covers it up. Then there's the little issue of the power cover, which you most certainly want attached when docked (so it can recharge) That's too bad since I would rather have seen a dock where all you do is drop it in place. I know JNJ says the dock works fine, but still...

Nuspieds

I actually like the design and look, but I only see one display port on the back. Where are the dual HDMI ports on the dock? Come on.................. Can you run dual monitors on one display port? I don't think that I have seen a splitter before.

So it looks like everything is powered the USB slot. Is this DisplayLink software to power video? Not a fan....
Display over USB using DisplayLink is mediocre at best.
With DisplayPort 1.2, you can daisy-chain monitors. All you need is one DP 1.2-compliant monitor and you can then include DP 1.1-compliant monitors in your chain. So, yes, with one DP 1.2 port, you can have multiple monitor support as long as you have at least one DP 1.2-compliant monitor daisy-chaining to other DP 1.1+ monitors.

I'm disappointed to see the USB 2.0 ports. They all should have been 3.0 ports.

joga

I'm a little dissappointed because its not supporting ethernet 1000, only 10\100...

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

olimjj

I'm a little dissappointed because its not supporting ethernet 1000, only 10\100...

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

That is very disappointing. I have a Startech Gigabit to USB 3.0 adapter that I use now for this purpose. It is not an elegant solution but I guess you can use this adapter in the provided USB 3.0 port on the hub if you wanted.

BTW their is a new driver for this adapter which can be found here AX88179 - ASIX Electronics Corporation