What's new

Solved Ping stability online gaming

Rehling

Hey,
I picked up a i5 256gb sp3 a couple of months ago and in terms of productivity for university, it runs great.
Not sure where to put this, but I have run into a couple of problems when trying to game some League of Legends.
FPS are stable at highest resolution although the device gets really hot. But it's not playable due to ping/latency issues. My friends accessing the same wifi have stable ping, the wifi at university is very powerful with nice 2ms ping without packet loss and low jitter and lots of bandwidth.
Ping jumps during the game between 20 - 1500.
I tried enabling another energy plan as i thought the issue might be related to my networks card not getting enough power. So i enabled HyperV and set everything to "highest performance" in the energy setting. Drivers should be the newest available (updated in Nov.)
Did not really find anyone with the same problems...
I am greatful for any ideas.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disable Bluetooth it may be interfering.
Going outside the box... try a USB 3.0 WiFi adapter such as Netgear A6200 which has very good long range capability.

OP
R

Rehling

Disable Bluetooth it may be interfering.
Going outside the box... try a USB 3.0 WiFi adapter such as Netgear A6200 which has very good long range capability.

Thanks for your reply. I'll try disabling blutooth. As i am not really interested in gaming that much, buying a wifi adaptor for that purpose seems overboard to me. Then i would also need a USB splitter as my mouse is connected through USB as well. :D

OP
R

Rehling

What good would that do? For changes to come to effect, a restart is necessary. After restard, only balanced energy plan is available and no settings for wlan power whatsoever.

ctitanic

What good would that do? For changes to come to effect, a restart is necessary. After restard, only balanced energy plan is available and no settings for wlan power whatsoever.
Change the balance plan in anyway you want. Hyper V causes a lot of issues in this device due to Connected Standby.

OP
R

Rehling

Oh ok, I thought I would not be able to change the balanced settings anymore after disabling HyperV again. Is that effect permanent?
I know that HyperV interferes with the hibernate function so that the sp3 is more like a laptop and not a tablet anymore, but that does not bother me that much. I did not experience many issues with connected standby previous to HyperV and since the sp3 now has to start up from sleep everytime, I dont seem to have any issues reconnecting to my wlan network either.

I tried disabling bluetooth, but the effect is no palpable on ping ingame.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you download WiFiInfoView what's your signal strength reading? How many access points do you see on the same channel?
What's their reported speed?

ctitanic

Oh ok, I thought I would not be able to change the balanced settings anymore after disabling HyperV again. Is that effect permanent?
I know that HyperV interferes with the hibernate function so that the sp3 is more like a laptop and not a tablet anymore, but that does not bother me that much. I did not experience many issues with connected standby previous to HyperV and since the sp3 now has to start up from sleep everytime, I dont seem to have any issues reconnecting to my wlan network either.

I tried disabling bluetooth, but the effect is no palpable on ping ingame.
The changes are permanent.

OP
R

Rehling

Clean reinstallation of both Windows and League of Legends fixed the problem.
I monitored ping and latency mid-game, and it spiked to 300 with 300 jitter and 6% paket loss before reinstall. Well, thats in the past now. Stable 24ms reporting in.

Liam2349

Clean reinstallation of both Windows and League of Legends fixed the problem.
I monitored ping and latency mid-game, and it spiked to 300 with 300 jitter and 6% paket loss before reinstall. Well, thats in the past now. Stable 24ms reporting in.

I find it interesting that this would solve your issue.

Most of the time, a high ping is caused by other users on your network or by your ISP doing god-knows-what and ruining your fun.