What's new

Played with one in person. May cancel order for now

mmc

I have no local Microsoft store, but I was visiting San Diego last week and stopped in the store to try one out. Overall, it is a really nice product. The screen is brilliant. The dial likes to slide too much unless the screen is at its flattest point. They also couldn't demo any improvements to Office apps with the dial as those bits aren't ready. I don't like the included mouse and keyboard and wished they left those off and discounted accordingly. Combined with Dell's vague, but interesting announcement, I walked away unsure I want to keep my order. I'm inclined to cancel it and look at the options come spring.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I were in the amrket for such a device, I'd never have pre-ordered for the reason you state. OEM's have seen that microsoft is actually onto something with their surface line now that they've gotten over those first versions, and so like with Dell, I expect to see a whole range of "imitations". Far better to just wait and see what is on the market come release.

I also don't see the point in including a mouse and keyboard by default. Microsoft are not apple where punters will just buy and use everything offered. They should understand that the mouse and keyboard are vital peripherals and that everyone will have personal preference. I imagine that a lot of the mice and keyboards shipped out with the device will just go straight in a cupboard or ebay. No different to if they'd tried to bundle the arc touch with each surface. Some might appreciate it, but most would just continue using the mouse they want to use and feel a touch resentful that they've paid for something they never wanted (same reason I'm a supporter of them not including the type cover by default, albeit in that case, most people will want one, but not everyone)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My experience with the Dial is it only slides when there is dust on the bottom of the dial or the screen isn't clean...

CrippsCorner

Tom Warren's review states it can slide down even in its flattest state, I could imagine that being rather frustrating!

Agree with the bundling though. I'm very particular as to which mouse I use... not having dedicated forward/back browser buttons is just unforgivable to me!

OP
M

mmc

My experience with the Dial is it only slides when there is dust on the bottom of the dial or the screen isn't clean...

At what angles? I cleaned off the dial on my sleeve and it didn't help. I tried it on different parts of the screen with no improvement.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
At what angles? I cleaned off the dial on my sleeve and it didn't help. I tried it on different parts of the screen with no improvement.
Like I said, it was the combo if the screen and dial....I inked at the normal "drafting table" angle nit sure the degrees that was...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The screen being clean is a bit of a odd one given it is a touch screen and will naturally end up with the dirt and oils, sweat etc off your hands all over it.

OP
M

mmc

Received the email saying my card would be charged on the 8th and unit ship. I cancelled the order. Going to wait to see what the Dell competitor ends up being.