What's new

PlayTo

Omni

Hi all

Im having some problems with the PlayTo feature in Windows RT. The problems starts when a TV isn't available via the Device Charms so I have to send it via file explorer which does work perfectly well.

The problem starts however after 10-20 minutes later when the RT sleeps and (I think) turns off the WiFi so the video stops playing. If I disable Sleep it works ok but the screen never turns off which uses a lot of battery. Turning it off manually is the same as sleeping so that's no help either. It does however work when the RT is plugged in! Plugging it in every time is no a solution for me though. :(.

Any one got any ideas?

Thanks Matt

OP
Omni

Omni

After lots of digging I found this:
Using MSFT Uncertified Play To DLNA devices with W8 Modern UI Apps | Barbs Connected World

I cant test right now as Im not with my non certified device, although I have added it to the registry and windows still reports its 'Not Windows Certified' :(. Ill post when I can try it.

Good if someone else could try mean time??

Edit: Should have mentioned that Ive used tvs that are 'Windows Certified' and because you connect to them via the Device Charms the Surface stays active and plays the whole video fine.

Last edited:
OP
Omni

Omni

Can confirm this hack works on a LG TV. Windows no longer lists it as 'Not Windows Certified'. :)

OP
Omni

Omni

Since posting Ive tried this on 2 Samsung and a Panasonic TV and all work great.

OP
Omni

Omni

Yes it will. I use YouTube RT but metro tube also works. I find YouTube RT does work a little better.