Please help me ! My battery wear is 5% after 1 months using !

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Inuyasha1987, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Inuyasha1987

Inuyasha1987 New Member

Dear all,

I got a trouble with my battery on surface pro 3. I don't know why my battery wear up to 5% after 1 month using. Last Friday only 2.1% but today is 5%. I remember I read somewhere said that battery can be restored by itself but I didn't see this. I also uploaded a photo about my battery attached with this topic. So could you help me deal with my trouble ?
    Thank you for you help.

P/s: forgive me if my English is not good.

Attached Files:

2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Welcome to the forum

My guess is that the rapid change to 5% was an anomaly. It doesn't (yet) seem like you should be overly concerned about it. How may hours a day do you use your SP3 and how often do you charge it?

Inuyasha1987 likes this.
  3. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Inuyasha1987 likes this.
  4. nipponham

nipponham Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    When I first got my device, my battery's full charge capacity was 1-2% above the stated design capacity. After a couple of months (and a refresh), my full capacity reading now fluctates between -0.5 to -1.5% of design capacity. Apparently this is normal, and more importantly, I'm getting about nine hour of usage on average, so I'm not too worried about it.

Inuyasha1987 and sharpuser like this.
  5. Inuyasha1987

Inuyasha1987 New Member

I use it everyday. Normally I charge 1 time per day, may be 2-3 times double in one day. However I also used surface when it was charging. In Saturday and Sunday and someday I used more than everyday, I plug adapter all (actually often ^ ^!). Normally I use surface 6 hours per day. At weekend is 9 hours. My surface battery life is around 4-5 hours.

Thank you, I will check it again after 1 week. I also read this problem in surface pro 2 thread but I still worry. 1 month before no problem but only 3 days I got 5% with battery wear. How can I believe >.<.

I didn't check the full capacity so I don't know at the first time but I checked after 1 week using and I saw full battery per charge some time go up and down (the highest is 43,574 mWh) but never lower than Design Capacity (42,157 mWh), it starts to go down under Design Capacity few days ago after I recharge at 3% battery life. It begin with 0.2% of wear and then 1.5% for next charge, stop here 2 or 3 time and now is 5.1%.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. bmack

bmack Member

the system is not very accurate at reading battery wear. one day mine was at 7.5% then the next couple of days it was down to 3.5%. so I wouldn't pay that any attention

Inuyasha1987 likes this.
  7. Inuyasha1987

Inuyasha1987 New Member

Actually now I'm confusing because it fluctuates at period time but now is not :(. I also used powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html in command prompt to check battery and got the same result. Today I charge and it can't charge up to 100%, it's stop at 96.6% :(. I will pay attention for one week to check battery all again :(.

8. nipponham

nipponham Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Are you using BatteryBar to get that reading? If so, that's normal. It only charges up to the current capacity and if that's lower than the last reading, it will be below 100%.

If you're using the default battery meter, then something's wrong.

Inuyasha1987 likes this.
  9. Inuyasha1987

Inuyasha1987 New Member

I am using Batterybar v 3.5.2. The full capacity within 5.1% battery wear is 39,991 mWh. When I charge, my surface stop at 96.6% of full capacity = around 38,600 mWh. That's why I don't understand. I've already drained down to 10% and now recharge again to check it.

10. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Charge it overnight, them run something continuously until it shuts off. Play a video in repeat mode or queue up a playlist or get a battery test program like battery eater or Tabletmark which has a battery test mode.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/benchmark-laptops-battery-life-battery-eater/
    The point of this is to fully discharge to shutdown which will recalibrate the monitoring software.

Inuyasha1987 and Kif like this.
  11. veemCee

veemCee New Member

My Device:
    S2
    I hope you've gotten things fixed by now. It's a shame to see the battery life decrease like that!

By the way, don't feel bad that your "English is not good." It was better than alot of people I know! By the way, where are you from?

Inuyasha1987 likes this.
  12. Inuyasha1987

Inuyasha1987 New Member

Thank you, I've already fixed my problems by replacing SP3 and got the new one. My battery in the previous SP3 is die few weeks ago and I have contact with MS supporter to replace it.
    I come from Vietnam :), now I'm studying in Japan :D.