What's new

Plugged in or battery power

#swu

Hi guys, just wondering how you guys all use your SB's. Do you leave it plugged into power when in use, or do you guys cycle through the battery? Which ones better?

leeshor

There are quite a few discussions on the subject if you look around the forum. It is a discussion issue and has been asked and answered. Didn't feel it was worthy of a poll at this point.

Welcome to the forum

Orlbuckeye

I use mine mostly plugged in if there is a plug around. The Surface Book is unique because it has a battery in the clipboard and the base (keyboard). The clipboard only gets around 3 hours of battery life. So I use just the clipboard when I'm using for a short period. If I want to use as a table for an extended period I just flip the clipboard over and I will get the maximum battery life. The time I use it with the clipboard flipped and use it /\ like that if I'm using touch or the pen.

Wayne Orwig

Use it so it is most convenient for you is what I say.

Lithium batteries are worn out when cycled. So try not to intentionally cycle them.
They are potentially damaged at really low states of charge. So don't let it set around near 0% for a long time.
They are damaged by heat. Try to keep them in a cool place, especially when being charged.
They wear faster when kept at 100%.

So in a perfect world, they might last longer it kept near 50%. But this is not a perfect world, and that is impractical. So I keep mine on charge near 100% and ready to go. I avoid deep cycling the battery, but if that is what I need, then that is what I need.