plugged not in charge : good idea to save battery life ?

Discussion in 'Surface Pro 2017' started by apo1, Aug 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. apo1

apo1 New Member

My Device:
    Other
    Hi and excuse my english,

I bought a surface pro 2017 and i want to improove battery life when i use it at home.

I know i have to stay between 40% and 80% battery not to use it too much to improove its life.

I can by a missmanipulation force the device to be 'plugged not in charge'.
    Is it a good idea to charge 75% of the battery and bring it in 'plugged not in charge' mode when i am at home ?
    Or do you think it will use anormaly the battery ?

Thanks

2. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I think you're making a mountain out a molehill. Just use it and enjoy it. I've not done anything special with any of my surfaces and the batteries are still fine year later.

3. Clintro

Clintro Member

My Device:
    SPro
    I love the only charge it to 80% for bettery battery life stuff.... it may last a few months longer, but for 4 or so years you are only using 80% of the battery. Just don't run it down to zero and you will be fine.

ironwoods likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    SPro
    This topic seems to come up with every new release as there is so much old info out there - here is the Official Microsoft Answer:

Microsoft Surface battery and power | Recharge Surface

Follow these tips to extend the lifetime of your battery:

• Keep it cool. Surface is designed to work between 32°F and 95°F (or 0°C to 35°C). Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to high temperatures, so keep your Surface out of the sun and don’t leave it in a hot car.
    • Once a month, recharge when it’s 10% or lower.. You can recharge the battery whenever you want But, However, it’s best to let the battery run to below 10% at least once per month before you recharge it.

ironwoods likes this.
  5. wpcoe

wpcoe New Member

My Device:
    SPro
    My aging Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro has a battery utility that lets you set it to charge no more than 65% if you were going to be using external power on a regular basis. It was a PITA to turn it off and on, but if you mainly used it on external power, it was handy.

That same utility had a function that would charge the battery to 100%, then drain it down to (near) 0%, and again charge to 100% to reset the battery reporting gauge. That took many hours so was best done over night.

I'd be interested if there were a Surface-compatible third-party utility that could safely do both/either of those tasks. Better yet would be for Microsoft to develop and release it.

6. CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Like others have said... don't worry! My original Surface Pro is 4 years old now and still holding hours of charge; I never did anything special with it :)

jnjroach likes this.