What's new

Poll: Do you buy a folio case or regular case?

Would you buy a folio case for your Surface?

• Yes, I prefer folio case.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No, I prefer a regular case.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, I prefer a sleeve.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No, I prefer nothing on it.

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
S

sleith001

Not sure what to enter - I 'prefer' to go naked, but having spent £1500 on a device that's so easily scratched I feel I have to protect it with something :-(

Understand. It's not so easily scratched. I think the excitement of posting naked should surpass your worries, but you don't have to naked all the time. That's exactly my point: You want to protect you device when there is chance to scratch it, so, get a good looking, stylish sleeve or soft case. When it is time to use it, on desk, lap whatever, you take it out, go fully naked.

What the folio case bothers me is: the case is used as semi-permanent skin to the Surface. Yes, you can still take it out when use it, but that's not what a folio case is designed for. PLUS, there are two way a folio case can hold the Surface: a frame or a elastic straps. Neither way make the device look good. I can tell you one thing for truth, those icrap owners barely have a chance to look at their devices the entire life. They are trapped in the case. How sad is that? It's like you bought something to admire, but you wrap it in not so good clothes for the life. Image your Surface is your girl friend.

daniielrp

Uh oh, ifan got his feelings hurt..... LOL

iFan? No. (One would have to own one to be that, right?) I just don't see why we as Microsoft product users need to justify liking our device by badmouthing another. Just shows you to be simple-minded and not willing to accept that your point of view could be wrong. Personally I think iPads are not useful for much other than playing games, but they are really good at this. Thinking they are superior, untouchable and not willing to see things from the other side is what got Microsoft into the mess they are in now, and people like you will go down too if you don't change your attitude.

OP
S

sleith001

iFan? No. (One would have to own one to be that, right?) I just don't see why we as Microsoft product users need to justify liking our device by badmouthing another. Just shows you to be simple-minded and not willing to accept that your point of view could be wrong. Personally I think iPads are not useful for much other than playing games, but they are really good at this. Thinking they are superior, untouchable and not willing to see things from the other side is what got Microsoft into the mess they are in now, and people like you will go down too if you don't change your attitude.

I agree to some of your points, but I want to explain why I call it icrap, and why it is not evil to do that. I hate things that don't deserve what they get credited for. I think most people do. I don't like Kim Kadashan, or Miley Sirus, or Paris Hilton. Those are fine ladies, they are adorable in a lot ways, but they don't deserve to appear on every cover of magazines, they don't deserve the money they are making. You may say "supply vs demand", or whatever, the fact is they are dollar value, but promoted to million value. Those icrap worth no more than an expensive toy. Those stupid parents are buying it only because other kids have it. My daughter have a Surface 2, she does home work on it, sometimes plays on it. She brings to school, other kids say wow.

Wayne Orwig

I agree to some of your points, but I want to explain why I call it icrap, and why it is not evil to do that. I hate things that don't deserve what they get credited for. I think most people do. I don't like Kim Kadashan, or Miley Sirus, or Paris Hilton. Those are fine ladies, they are adorable in a lot ways, but they don't deserve to appear on every cover of magazines, they don't deserve the money they are making. You may say "supply vs demand", or whatever, the fact is they are dollar value, but promoted to million value. Those icrap worth no more than an expensive toy. Those stupid parents are buying it only because other kids have it. My daughter have a Surface 2, she does home work on it, sometimes plays on it. She brings to school, other kids say wow.

I try to avoid the name calling, even though I fully understand what you are saying.

For example, I like to work on motorcycles as a hobby. With the Surface Pro, I can connect the USB cable to the motorcycle fuel injection, and repair/tune it. I have people often come to my garage. The Surface Pro lets me carry and look up service manuals, parts manuals, and other info. PLUS I can plug in the USB and do WORK. An Apple fanboy friend was at my house and I was tuning his bike, for free, as I always do. When he saw my Surface and me using it for real WORK, he went into his rant about how much better his iPad is. I handed him the USB plug and asked him to plug it into his iPad. :eek:mg: I generally ignore it. I will never change his mind, even though the WORK was only going to happen in a Microsoft environment. Clueless or delusional, whatever they are, ignore them, try not to be like them.

Last edited:

jefhart

Did he give you any examples of how his ipad was better? I think the Surface Pro has gotten pretty good reviews overall and a lot of people are praising it since it for being more than a content consumption device.

OP
S

sleith001

Do I have to draw a conclusion? I think it's a personal preference, but I have a strong feeling that in real life, there will be a lot of people who would choose a folio case, mainly because that's what they see from other people. If you are someone who use your own judgement, you almost certain not to choose a folio case for your Surface. I personally use a sleeve, the other family member uses soft case.

fcch_s

I thought about a folio, but decided against it. I don't need a case to protect the device, I already carry most stuff in a messenger bag. It has a built in pouch to protect stuff and a second pouch for my e-reader (PlayBook).

I also usually have in the bag a camera, sunglasses, reading glasses, a bunch of usb keys etc, passport, cell phone, sat phone, gloves ... name it. This means I always have the bag on my shoulder and my SP2 is in it.

I don't mind that the device is getting some scratches on the back. The type cover seems to be protecting the screen pretty well.
We'll see in a few months.

Loving this device!!