[Poll} Have you upgraded any non Surface systems?

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Forum' started by leeshor, Jun 18, 2015.

?

Have you upgraded "other" systems?

1. Yes and it went fine

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Yes but there were problems (explain)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I plan on it, prior to July 29th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm going to wait

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I have upgraded 5 systems from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. It was interesting and for the most part, with one glaring exception, went very smoothly. The one exception was a Lenovo laptop that refuses to upgrade. The 5 systems that did upgrade were all production desktops, some over 3 years old.

Have you upgraded any other systems and what was your experience

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

I've attempted to put W10 on my HP Beats AIO a few times and it will never complete the install. Generally faults out during the final phase of the install. That is as an upgrade to the existing W8.1.
    I did set the HP to dual-boot and installed a virgin W10 and that went well. Only had to get the sound drivers from HP to finish it out.

You mentioned a Lenovo laptop that wouldn't upgrade. I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and doing an upgrade on it went smooth as silk.

3. leeshor

My Device:
    SPro4
    The laptop, a T520, would get to various spots and finally error out with a blue screen asking to do an F5 or F8, the F8 being a repair that would never work. I had to restore an image using Macrium Reflect and I'm not even going to say how man times I had to do that. Tried the install live, from USB and from DVD.Trashed it every time.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Sounds exactly like the HP upgrade I tried to do! :( I figger it is probably some driver or software that HP has in the mix that W10 didn't like. But never got an error that would give even a smidgen of a clue as to what was causing it.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I've upgraded my Dell Venue 8 Pro and in many ways it is more stable than my SP3 running Windows 10, much of the SP3 issue is Power Management related though and a fix is coming soon.

6. Spider

Spider Super Moderator Staff Member

I upgraded W7 Pro on my desktop several months ago. No problems upgrading and everything appeared to work fine except VM VirtualBox.

7. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

I upgraded an old vista era laptop but it was a no go because of graphics drivers.

Other than that, I would love to put it on my main computer but it has no internet access and I won't be able to get back to it with an ISO on a flash drive until September.

8. Russ

Russ Active Member

Leeshor --

I have upgraded two desktop systems, both from Win8.1. Both were done with no issues. The first was a spare machine that I use for tinkering with new stuff, but don't really use much. I became so comfortable with Win10 on it that I decided to upgrade my shop machine once I was assured that the upgrade to RTM would be "in place," without any need for re-install.

This is a machine that I use every day with a variety of programs. I have had no program problems, or any other. I plan to upgrade another machine soon.

Take care,
    Russ

9. leeshor

My Device:
    SPro4
    @Russ 2 of the systems I upgraded were (2 of 3 of my) Windows 7 Pro production systems and neither had any issues. That was after I did fast ring upgaded on a bench system for nearly 2 months. I was pretty confident it would work. I think that Lenovo laptop never will upgrade.