What's new

portable monitor for SP3 in a Virtual Environment

MarkM

I am looking for a portable monitor for my SP3. I currently have a Lenovo LT1421 (I think) It is a cabled portable monitor that I have used on a laptop.

It works fine when I am using the SP3 with applications on the machine, but as soon as I enter a virtual office environment all the VO apps don't work and the second screen goes blank.

I also have an HP EliteDisplay S140U that I can use as well, but it just doesn't seem to want to cooperate at all under any circumstances.

Any driver suggestions?
Other suggestions?

BubbaUK

Possibly not what you are looking for, but do you have an iPad? You can attach it to your SP3 via lightning cable, run the Duet app on the Surface & iPad and your iPad becomes a second screen. Duet costs about $15 IIRC. It's very handy as a portable solution. Not sure what will happen with your VO apps though.

OP
M

MarkM

Possibly not what you are looking for, but do you have an iPad? You can attach it to your SP3 via lightning cable, run the Duet app on the Surface & iPad and your iPad becomes a second screen. Duet costs about $15 IIRC. It's very handy as a portable solution. Not sure what will happen with your VO apps though.

Thank for the info. I do have an ipad and did try the duet solution. Worked fine until I started the VO apps. Potentially it is because the VO apps use a Citrix receiver?

BubbaUK

Thanks for the info about your VO apps, worth remembering.

It may be that the VO server can be configured to use multiple screens? IIRC, Citrix generates the graphics on the server & it's graphics card, and just pipes them down to your display (as opposed to say a client/server web solution where the graphics are generated on the client).

OP
M

MarkM

In a Windows 7 and Windows 8 environment, both desktop and laptop, I do use the VO apps across multiple screens, some of the apps are designed for multiple screens.

BubbaUK

Hmm, that's odd then. Are you running Windows 10 on the Spro3? I noticed that Remote Desktop behaves differently on Win 10 that it does Win7/8.1, so there may be something going on.

OP
M

MarkM

I run Windows 10 in the Spro3. I do have a remote desktop software that runs on 7/8 and 10 with the same behaviour