What's new

Possible Fault?

lilsancho

Hi guys

I've have my SP3 for a few days now and so far i'm enjoying it alot!

But.... one small issue has popped up.
When my surface is connected to my external display (by mini dp) and i connect the a/c cord I get a loud 'popping' sound with white static like artefacts appearing on the screen for a moment.

I've put a video up so you can see and hear what I'm talking about.

Has anyone had any issues like this?

Donald King

I have not seen this. What device is the sound coming from? Can you determine if it is coming from the speakers in the SP3 or external speakers? Or some other component? I tried to watch your video and it said it was private.
:(

OP
L

lilsancho

Ahh sorry, just made it public so you should be able to see it now.
I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the monitor, but the catch is that the 'popping' sound only happens if media is playing (music or video). But the 'static' like artefacts appear regardless.

Donald King

Wow that is interesting. I only use my second monitor in my dock, but tomorrow I will plug it directly into the tablet and see what happens when I apply power.

Donald King

Mine did not have this behavior. I plugged my 24" monitor into the DP on the tablet, and waiting for it to come up. Then I plugged in the SP3 power repeatedly and the monitor never flickered or made a noise. I would look to get your replaced under warranty.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It the monitor grounded? does it have a 3 or 2 prong plug?
If the monitor has 3 prong plug try reversing the Surface Power adapter plug or use a 2 prong adapter with the monitor and try that plugged in both ways.

Have you connected the monitor using DisplayPort with any other equipment?

This could be a problem with the Monitor or your electrical outlet. I think the Surface would make the noise if it was the problem. There's a potential (no pun intended) that something could be damaged if this problem is not corrected.

BTW have you ever been shocked using anything plugged into this outlet?

Donald King

Good point. I would try the same test using both devices in the same outlet, and also test by putting the monitor and the SP3 on different outlets that you know are on different circuits or different legs.