What's new

Post your battery life

bvone21

Can we add a requirement to this thread to include your model SP3? And maybe also to include any key points relevant to battery life...specifically your brightness settings, and generally how you "use" the device?

I'm interested to see what everyone is posting...I'll post mine at some point. Hint, I'm in Zhenya's camp...

So, this means that you reset 8.1 - not refreshed the device? And, if you don't mind my asking, when did you buy your SP3? I am asking because I bought mine in June 2014 - on launch day - and have not done anything to it since (resetting or refreshing). Thanks in advance.

I reset it from a recovery download from the MS website. So it's clean. I upgraded to Windows 10 and decided that I couldn't rely on it as my daily driver so I formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows.

I bought my Surface either the last week in June or first week of July 2014. I have the i5 125GB 4GB RAM model.

It's crazy how much better the performance is on my machine now that I've wiped it. My fan only came on once because it was downloading updates (70 of them) and hasn't turned on since. This has never happened to me before. Also I can see my CPU go to zero when I stop touching my device. Not sure that has ever happened either. Needless to say, I'm being very selective in what I install to make sure that this trend of good battery life continues.

upload_2015-1-29_15-13-46.png

kristalsoldier

I reset it from a recovery download from the MS website. So it's clean. I upgraded to Windows 10 and decided that I couldn't rely on it as my daily driver so I formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows.

I bought my Surface either the last week in June or first week of July 2014. I have the i5 125GB 4GB RAM model.

Thanks - so, same model as what I have and approximately the same timeframe that I bought mine. I just refreshed mine - not reset. Like your experience, the fan came on only once when downloading and installing those 70 odd updates though I have never had the fan problem. Now the real test will be to see if there is any improvement to the battery life.

Haldi

Can someone tell me how I can run one of these reports so I might also check? Thank you
i prefert the .bat file.
Just create a .txt enter this and rename it to .bat

Code:
set DD=%DATE:~0,2%
set MM=%DATE:~3,2%
set YY=%DATE:~8,2%
set YYYY=%DATE:~6,4%
set HH=%TIME:~0,2%
set MN=%TIME:~3,2%
powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\Users\"yourusername"\Desktop\Battery Log\battery_report_%YYYY%.%MM%.%DD%-%HH%%MN%.html" & powercfg /sleepstudy /output "C:\Users\"yourusername"\Desktop\Battery Log\sleep_report_%YYYY%.%MM%.%DD%-%HH%%MN%.html"
If you run it normal you get the BatteryReport. If you run it as Admin you also get the SleepStudy :)

here is mine:
i5-8gb-256gb earlier lot of excel work, then some web browsing via Firefox. and lately few games and Steam inhome streaming.

Battery Report.PNG

surface4bdms

Hi all, First time posting, love the forums and have learnt a lot.

First, I love my SP3, I use it mostly for work , and Office programs. However I have been getting no where near the battery life that everyone seems to be getting.

On the weekend i decided to do some work. It was fully charged, and I placed it in airplane mode so I wasn't connected.

Turned on and then the fan was going crazy, it was hot, and I only just opened up power point, I lost 40% power in the first 45 minutes.

I checked the Task Manager, and nothing was running besides my powerpoint program. SP3 running hot, fan going crazy, I'm going crazy?????

I need more power captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pulled the report and noticed very poor battery life, and all I do are office programs, nothing hard or major.

I have the i5 8G 256 and got it on 30th December 14

All updates done,

Any thoughts will be helpful.

I have tried most battery saving methods, that's why I tried to stay offline. But nothing seems to improve

Thanking you

upload_2015-2-9_11-3-5.png

upload_2015-2-9_11-3-5.png

Airplane Mode, offline, only used Powepoint and excel

OP
Z

zhenya

We are trying to keep this specific thread fairly focused on what people are getting for battery life rather than discussion about battery life. I thank you for posting your report.

I would suggest that you explore the many other threads that deal with battery life here - specifically look at the processes in task manager and sort by CPU use to find a potentially offending process. Also run the energy report from powercfg to look for specific programs that are using more energy than normal.