What's new

Post Your SP3 Non-Docked Operating Resolution & Scaling %

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I agree with you that native resolution is just too darn small. Even with near perfect vision, I just find that it's just a strain to look at all the time and I expect both desktop and Metro to be somewhat usable with touch and that's just not really the case at full res no scaling.

Using the native res, with scaling though will generally result in sharper objects. When you use a non-native resolution, everything will be a little bit less sharp. Because the SP3 has relatively high DPI, it can make things look fairly passable. Still, there is a noticeable difference to me in the sharpness of text, especially, using the native resolution and 150% scaling vs. just scaling at 150% by setting the resolution to 1440x960.

As someone pointed out to you earlier in the thread, you might as well use a fixed resolution to get your scaling factor directly from the resolution vs. setting the resolution halfway there and then using scaling to get the rest of the way. There is always a bit of a performance hit when you have to scale in hardware, so might as well do it by just setting the resolution which has no such hit.
So, you're saying I should keep it at native res and upscale to 225% (the scale I find most to resemble iPad interface)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Then why don't they work on improving the stability GUI interface?

And I'm making a comparison of the displays of the Ipad/sp3, and nothing more.
They can't change all of the legacy code in the Applications you use, GDI Scaling was created for a world of 15-17" 1280x1024 Monitors, Microsoft is updating much of its underlying code in Windows 10 (looks to be the control panels that most consumers would need to use). The Desktop UI is always going to be Mouse and Keyboard Driven, the customer base has spoken on that one....Universal Apps will be Touch Friendly....

iOS was written from the ground up with no backwards compatibility as was the later versions of OSX, Microsoft doesn't get to do that....

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Well, I see that native res coupled with 225% scaling is pretty much exactly where I want it. If you all say this is where Ill reap the greatest user experience, then I'll leave it at this!

On a side note, has anyone tinkered with adjusting the specific sizes of fonts, title bars, windows, etc? Perhaps leaving it at native res and native % but adjustingthese to some pre-set #'s we can achieve, what seems to be, the unachieveable!

zhenya

Yes, that should work well for you if you don't dock and don't have any essential programs that don't play nicely.

The other option, since you say you don't use Metro programs (which won't work below 1024x768), is to use the registry hack to set the screen resolution to 1080x720 directly which is equivalent to 200% scaling. Since it's exactly 1/4 of the native resolution, there are no scaling artifacts, but everything is too large at that setting for my taste.

B

B'midbar

Well, I see that native res coupled with 225% scaling is pretty much exactly where I want it. If you all say this is where Ill reap the greatest user experience, then I'll leave it at this!

On a side note, has anyone tinkered with adjusting the specific sizes of fonts, title bars, windows, etc? Perhaps leaving it at native res and native % but adjustingthese to some pre-set #'s we can achieve, what seems to be, the unachieveable!

Yes, I've adjusted Menus and Icons to 10pt bold. Helps as I go back and forth between docked and undocked.

surfdock

Mods,

I suspect the multitude of dpi related threads may end up being counter-productive to many users especially the casual users coming across these threads via google/bing search. Perhaps it would be appropriate to add dpi tweak methods to the main SP3 FAQ and just point new questions/threads there.

For folks using custom settings, make sure you opt-into the Microsoft customer improvement program to send telemetry back to Microsoft. Microsoft needs to know how many people are using which dpi scaling and resolution settings to make sure this is done even better for future products. It does actually make a difference.

ScottyS

100% scaling at native resolution? LOL. You must be wearing ashtray glasses, because 99 out of 100 people would tend to agree that's just too darn small....

Ha! I thought it was Coke bottle glasses (I guess that dates how old I am since soda bottles are plastic now).
I agree, everybody says "how can you see things that small?" But as I said I zoom web pages to 150%, view pdfs full screen so they're zoomed and you can zoom Word document and emails in Outllook. For clicking tiny buttons in apps like Photoshop I use a mouse.

You can set icon size to be large (I use medium), change icon title and title bar font to a large size, etc. I just find both lowering resolution or scaling makes it look a little blurry.