Post Your SP3 Power/Battery/Charging Issues Here

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by leeshor, Jun 21, 2014.

1. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I have to chime in here too! I was consistently getting around 8 hrs 30 mins or so on my SP3 with about 30% left. But after the last firmware update something happened. Now, after 4 hrs 30 mins, the system reports a battery level of 46%!!! My work pattern has not changed - OneDrive, Word, very little browsing, most notifications off. I have drained the battery and have charged back up to recalibrate. Any ideas?

Edit: I have the i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB version.

Edit 2: I just ran the battery report and I notice that from the 21rd of Jan, this year, the battery performance dropped from 8 hr 25 mins to 5 hr 40 mins (as on the 26th of Jan). It could be that I am not reading the report correctly, but this seemingly bears out my experience in my daily usage.

Edit 3: I just reduced the screen brightness - on battery - down from 40% to 38%. Let's see if this makes even an iota of difference.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. mohcho

mohcho Active Member

I'm going to run on battery today to see what my battery usage is like. I haven't confirmed, but I feel that the battery life has declined since the last few updates. I was able to use it for a solid 7-8 hours at work (screen off, using USB dock). Will run it today and report back.

i5, 4gb/128GB

8:50AM EST started using the battery.

3. kristalsoldier

My Device:
    SPro4
    Yeah...that would be cool...could you please post back here your findings? I have now been on my SP3 for 6 hrs 12 mins (I got this from my 1520, which I took off the charger at exactly the same time as the SP3) and I am 29%. Not good!

Edit: What's odd is that (1) in every other way the SP3 is performing exceedingly well and (2) not many people here are reporting any adverse battery-life-related issues after the most recent updates.

4. mohcho

mohcho Active Member

Here's a capture of my battery report from today. Right now it's down to 32% and seems to drop faster than it had before. So I'm pushing 7 hours so far.

3:56pm @32%

Capture.JPG

[Edit] 4:18PM @ 28%

Seems like it's dropping faster when the battery is low.

kristalsoldier likes this.
  5. kristalsoldier

My Device:
    SPro4
    This is my battery report - not the whole of today but still mid-day from start. Notice the very sharp drop between 12:05PM and 12:43PM. The percentage drop from 60% to 48%!!!! And, I was doing nothing that I was not doing earlier (or for that matter later) in the day!!! I wonder what accounts for this sharp drop! Battery_rept_28_01_2015.jpg

6. 3kiw

3kiw New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    My SP3 will not charge with AC adapter.

I gave the port a good clean, even bought another (expensive) SP3 charger, tried charging my SP3 at JBHifi, and desperately tried to squash the port, all to no avail. I can't even get the LED to flicker anymore.

The device is out of warranty so Microsoft suggested a replacement for $799 AUD. I paid $1000 for the device a year and a half ago. An IT repair shop said they can replace a charger port for $399, I may go down this path and sell it once I've completed this month's project.

The work around I have had to use is a 12v car charger ($40) and a 7.5 amp 12v-240v inverter ($50). I assume it doesn't 'talk' to the device in any way - just pushes power into it. It is cumbersome but at least I can use my SP3 again. I would like to know if I can make the AC charger function the same way.

I'm looking very closely at the new Surfaces for the same fault as some use the same connector type.