What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

leeshor

Noticing lots of WiFi problem posts which end up as duplicate issues so post them all in this thread.

ctitanic

Some tricks that help.
1- If you have a dual band router, 2.4 and 5G, use different SSID for each band.
2- Using a fixed channel instead of auto help in some cases.

Just to be clear. This is an issue that should be fixed by MS. The above changes are recommended with the solo purpose of helping. I'm not saying that the cause of the problem in a missconfiguration in the router.

Some users have reported that reverting the driver to the one released on July 8th helped them.

Capture.JPG

Fast-T

still have the issue there is NO network at all available on the device after sleep. This is not reproducible and a reboot resolves the issue. Seems sometimes the Marvel has sweet dreams and does not want to wake up.
Rolling back and re-install the driver did not help.

Zog1971

Damn. Super pissed to say, my SP3 256gb i7 is having the same issues. It will go to limited or no connectivity after going to sleep--with or without the type cover attached. All updates have been installed. I thought these issues had been addressed in updates but i guess not. Hmmmm. This is not acceptable.

ctitanic

still have the issue there is NO network at all available on the device after sleep. This is not reproducible and a reboot resolves the issue. Seems sometimes the Marvel has sweet dreams and does not want to wake up.
Rolling back and re-install the driver did not help.
Do you have your router in a fixed channel? If you are using 5G, are you connected to low channels (less than 40)?

megatronium

This happens to me on both my RT-AC66u at home and my work router. I have to turn airplane on and off to get connectivity back. Haven't tried rolling back driver or changing channels at home yet.

stonerwinst

Same problem here with my i7 256GB paired with a Netgear Blackhawk AC1900. I am connected using 5ghz. Have not tried with 2.4ghz, but from what I hear it has the same problem.

uktivo

hi all.
im in the uk and just taken delivery of my sp3 i5 256gb. its great all except im having wifi connectivity issues. there has been a few issues in this department.
1. My sp3 will not see or connect to certain access points. No idea why. MS support just told me that its because my sp3 is from canada and it has a different look up set for wifi channels. he advised that uk units scan a certail channel range and canadian scan a different set, overlapping by about 3 channels. ive never heard this and really cant imagine it to be correct. any inputs anyone?

2. My sp3 connects to my home wifi network. I've been trying to transfer 50gb of data to its 128gb sd card, i set it off and leave it alone. Im getting less than 5mb transfer rate. (my macbook is around 20mb) and after a length of time, the transfer just stops. no warning, just hangs. i have to reboot the surface.

3. The usb socket is extremely slack. Anything i put in there, if slightly moved, breaks its connection making my ethernet usb connection no use at all.

It seems that MS do have some serious issues to resolve.

i purchased this unit from ebay and have had it only 4 days. i've emailed the seller to ask for a return and refund. fingers crossed, i should get it.

megatronium

hi all.
im in the uk and just taken delivery of my sp3 i5 256gb. its great all except im having wifi connectivity issues. there has been a few issues in this department.
1. My sp3 will not see or connect to certain access points. No idea why. MS support just told me that its because my sp3 is from canada and it has a different look up set for wifi channels. he advised that uk units scan a certail channel range and canadian scan a different set, overlapping by about 3 channels. ive never heard this and really cant imagine it to be correct. any inputs anyone?

2. My sp3 connects to my home wifi network. I've been trying to transfer 50gb of data to its 128gb sd card, i set it off and leave it alone. Im getting less than 5mb transfer rate. (my macbook is around 20mb) and after a length of time, the transfer just stops. no warning, just hangs. i have to reboot the surface.

3. The usb socket is extremely slack. Anything i put in there, if slightly moved, breaks its connection making my ethernet usb connection no use at all.

It seems that MS do have some serious issues to resolve.

i purchased this unit from ebay and have had it only 4 days. i've emailed the seller to ask for a return and refund. fingers crossed, i should get it.

1. MS is correct. Depends on your router.

2. That's pretty slow. On my AC connection it's super fast. Why are you xferring 50gb wirelessly though? I haven't had this trouble so not sure your issue.

3. My USB connection is firm. Perhaps you got a bad unit. Why not purchase from MS directly instead of eBay?

It seems you may have a bad unit.

uktivo

1. I understand routers transmit on different channels, I just can't understand the logic of having a receiving Unit that doesn't match the channels available worldwide. What happens if you are away working in a different country? Surely the receiving Unit should have the ability to scan all channels?

2. Ordinarily I would move this amount by wifi. But there should be no reason why I couldn't. The question here is why doesn't the SP3 allow this?

3. The sp3 is not available in the UK at the moment, hence the purchase off ebay
I have asked for a return. At worst, MS have agreed to swap out the unit for a uk stock once they have them.