What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

xbliss

Ugh. For the last month my sp3 has been having trouble and dropping wifi (requiring a restart).

I have restarted three times now and no wifi connection. Very frustrating
What is causing this for you?

You are basically double posting, refer to your other post.
With all due respect (maybe yes.. maybe not), I originally posted to get insights on "General Updates" for SP3 and which ones are good/ bad etc. as experienced by people.

Here, I am participating in the issues being face by spanchpie and others "specifically" on WiFi related thread.

I noted this in one of the newer threads, but my wifi options disappeared after doing the in-place upgrade from 8.1 to today's Windows 10 release. The adapter shows up in device manager, but nowhere do I have an option to actually utilize it. So I currently have no connectivity on my SP3. I'm hoping there is a driver I can manually install? Has anyone else had this problem after upgrading today? The odd thing is that the technical preview has been working fine.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I noted this in one of the newer threads, but my wifi options disappeared after doing the in-place upgrade from 8.1 to today's Windows 10 release. The adapter shows up in device manager, but nowhere do I have an option to actually utilize it. So I currently have no connectivity on my SP3. I'm hoping there is a driver I can manually install? Has anyone else had this problem after upgrading today? The odd thing is that the technical preview has been working fine.
Probably should have posted this in one of the Windows 10 threads but... you can download Surface Drivers Pack from here ... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Last updated yesterday 7/28/2015... never mind that it doesn't mention Windows 10.

Maciek

Oh no. I'm not looking forward to this as I'm about to upgrade…

Pedrom

Please forgive me for not trawling through all 15 pages of this thread to see if this issue has come up before! From what I can see, the old posts are mainly issues about not connecting or dropping out. My problem is that my wifi simply won't turn on anymore!
I was happily browsing as normal, when the connection dropped. I disconnected from my router and tried to reconnect, but no luck. I then turned the wifi off in the settings, but since then I've not been able to turn it back on! I'm having to use this crappy old laptop for now.
I've tried restarting multiple times. I've tried the trouble shooter. I've tried enabling the wifi from every way I can find, but no luck!
Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance for anything anyone can do to help!
Ped

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please forgive me for not trawling through all 15 pages of this thread to see if this issue has come up before! From what I can see, the old posts are mainly issues about not connecting or dropping out. My problem is that my wifi simply won't turn on anymore!
I was happily browsing as normal, when the connection dropped. I disconnected from my router and tried to reconnect, but no luck. I then turned the wifi off in the settings, but since then I've not been able to turn it back on! I'm having to use this crappy old laptop for now.
I've tried restarting multiple times. I've tried the trouble shooter. I've tried enabling the wifi from every way I can find, but no luck!
Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?
Thanks in advance for anything anyone can do to help!
Ped
So are you running W8.1 or W10?
In either case Id go into Device Manager and Uninstall the Marvall Wireless Adapter, DON'T check the box to remove the software. It should reinstall automatically but sometimes you need to right click the node and select "Scan for hardware changes".
It might take a minute before you see bars indicating it's detecting signal.
Then try connecting to your router... you will likely need to reenter the key.

Pedrom

So are you running W8.1 or W10?
In either case Id go into Device Manager and Uninstall the Marvall Wireless Adapter, DON'T check the box to remove the software. It should reinstall automatically but sometimes you need to right click the node and select "Scan for hardware changes".
It might take a minute before you see bars indicating it's detecting signal.
Then try connecting to your router... you will likely need to reenter the key.

Well, I'm now replying to you on my Surface again. So I'm sure you can guess how your advice went! ;)
Sorry I didn't say before, I'm on Windows 10 (not that is really matters now!)
Do you happen to know what caused this to happen in the first place?

Thanks you so much for your help.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I'm now replying to you on my Surface again. So I'm sure you can guess how your advice went! ;)
Sorry I didn't say before, I'm on Windows 10 (not that is really matters now!)
Do you happen to know what caused this to happen in the first place?

Thanks you so much for your help.
Cause: Wifi driver sucks! W10 instability just makes it worse.

TwiSteDCBloSsoM

At this point I am ready to cry, throw the thing, return it etc.
College student here who can't live life on dial up speeds for work.

I have the SP3 running Windows 10. Everything is currently up to date. I've literally been to this forum and ten billion others it seems like doing anything and everything I can to get the speed back up. I've done a speed test from my desktop and I'm at 50mbps up and down.
I've had this thing for 2 days and literally everything was fine till this morning when it just suddenly slowed to a crawl. I rebooted, turned the wifi on and off, disconnected, reconnected, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, checked the hyper-v thing, switched to not be a fast boot up, changed the settings on the adapter to only be 2.4ghz and not auto, and then tried 5, 5 didn't work so I went back to 2.4...

I'm just really at a loss as to if there is anything else I can possibly do to try and get this to work. I'm hesitant to even bother taking it with me to class tomorrow since this was to replace my laptop which is a bit to big and bulky to be dragging around all over the city.

Any insight at all into this issue would be greatly appreciated because I'm literally one step away from either breaking it or returning it because this is such a key feature that it's not possible for me to work with it if it's not going to work.

- The crying fed up college student