What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
At this point I am ready to cry, throw the thing, return it etc.
College student here who can't live life on dial up speeds for work.

I have the SP3 running Windows 10. Everything is currently up to date. I've literally been to this forum and ten billion others it seems like doing anything and everything I can to get the speed back up. I've done a speed test from my desktop and I'm at 50mbps up and down.
I've had this thing for 2 days and literally everything was fine till this morning when it just suddenly slowed to a crawl. I rebooted, turned the wifi on and off, disconnected, reconnected, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, checked the hyper-v thing, switched to not be a fast boot up, changed the settings on the adapter to only be 2.4ghz and not auto, and then tried 5, 5 didn't work so I went back to 2.4...

I'm just really at a loss as to if there is anything else I can possibly do to try and get this to work. I'm hesitant to even bother taking it with me to class tomorrow since this was to replace my laptop which is a bit to big and bulky to be dragging around all over the city.

Any insight at all into this issue would be greatly appreciated because I'm literally one step away from either breaking it or returning it because this is such a key feature that it's not possible for me to work with it if it's not going to work.

- The crying fed up college student
Roll back the driver to the March version and reboot and see if that fixes it....

TwiSteDCBloSsoM

Roll back the driver to the March version and reboot and see if that fixes it....

I've been looking for the rolled back version on my desktop but I'm having no luck. I literally can't even use the internet on the surface now to pull up pages because it's too slow. Where would I go about finding the older version? I honestly can't even tell which is the current Marvell driver from their list..

Edit: From the driver tab, rolling back the driver is not an option. I'm guessing since my SP3 shipped with Windows 10 that might be an issue for any of the earlier drivers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking for the rolled back version on my desktop but I'm having no luck. I literally can't even use the internet on the surface now to pull up pages because it's too slow. Where would I go about finding the older version? I honestly can't even tell which is the current Marvell driver from their list..

Edit: From the driver tab, rolling back the driver is not an option. I'm guessing since my SP3 shipped with Windows 10 that might be an issue for any of the earlier drivers.
Try downloading the driver package from the Surface support site then remove the Marvell WLAN from device manager and reboot. Windows should reload the driver if not unzip the folder of the driver package and load the driver from there....

TwiSteDCBloSsoM

Try downloading the driver package from the Surface support site then remove the Marvell WLAN from device manager and reboot. Windows should reload the driver if not unzip the folder of the driver package and load the driver from there....

So just the SP3 Driver set that's in the ppkg file? The only package zip I can decipher is the one they have for SP1. I'm kinda missing the old days here when things were easier to find and with more clear labeling. I do have the ppkg file on the surface now and have rebooted several times after uninstalling with it there.

EDIT - Nothing has changed in doing that. If I get speedtest to connect, it's still the same 0.65 down and 5.65 up.

Said list:
Surface Ethernet Adapter.zip
Surface Firmware Tool.msi
Surface Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.zip
Surface Pro 1 - January 2015.zip
Surface Pro 3 AssetTag.zip
Surface Pro 3 Driver Set.ppkg
Surface Pro 3 KB2978002.zip
Surface3_NAG_Win10_150724_2.msi
Surface3_NAG_Win10_150724_2.zip
Surface3_NAG_Win8x_150724_3.msi
Surface3_NAG_Win8x_150724_3.zip
Surface3_ROW_Win10_150724_3.msi
Surface3_ROW_Win10_150724_3.zip
Surface3_ROW_Win8x_150724_3.msi
Surface3_ROW_Win8x_150724_3.zip
Surface3_US1_Win10_150724_2.msi
Surface3_US1_Win10_150724_2.zip
Surface3_US1_Win8x_150724_3.msi
Surface3_US1_Win8x_150724_3.zip
Surface3_Win10_150723_0.zip
Surface3_Win8x_150623_2.msi
Surface3_Win8x_150623_2.zip
SurfacePro_Win10_150723_0.zip
SurfacePro2_Win10_150818_0.zip
SurfacePro2_Win8x_150519_0.zip
SurfacePro3_150623.msi
SurfacePro3_150623.zip
SurfacePro3_Win10_150818_1.msi
SurfacePro3_Win10_150818_1.zip
Windows8.1-KB2969817-x64.msu
Wintab-1.0.0.18-64-bit.zip

Last edited:

JDE100

At this point I am ready to cry, throw the thing, return it etc.
College student here who can't live life on dial up speeds for work.

I have the SP3 running Windows 10. Everything is currently up to date. I've literally been to this forum and ten billion others it seems like doing anything and everything I can to get the speed back up. I've done a speed test from my desktop and I'm at 50mbps up and down.
I've had this thing for 2 days and literally everything was fine till this morning when it just suddenly slowed to a crawl. I rebooted, turned the wifi on and off, disconnected, reconnected, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, checked the hyper-v thing, switched to not be a fast boot up, changed the settings on the adapter to only be 2.4ghz and not auto, and then tried 5, 5 didn't work so I went back to 2.4...

I'm just really at a loss as to if there is anything else I can possibly do to try and get this to work. I'm hesitant to even bother taking it with me to class tomorrow since this was to replace my laptop which is a bit to big and bulky to be dragging around all over the city.

Any insight at all into this issue would be greatly appreciated because I'm literally one step away from either breaking it or returning it because this is such a key feature that it's not possible for me to work with it if it's not going to work.

- The crying fed up college student
I have the exact same problems. Started when I updated my new SP3 to newer drivers in Windows 8.1. The 12/20/14 drivers worked fine. After updating to 6/23/15 drivers the internet issues started. I can get a half decent connection at home on the 2.4 network only. 5 ghz is unusable. Now that I upgraded to Win 10 I can't downgrade the Marvell driver to the 12/20/14 version so I'm stuck.

Theoriginalgiga

I ran into a similar problem and narrowed it down to the drivers. I was running windows 10 after the update and my driver showed 6/4/15 15.68.3091.193. I tried locking it to one frequency, deleting the driver, nothing seemed to work. I also couldn't roll back my drivers. I restored the tablet to factory 8.1 and did some iperf testing and averaged 250mbps (most likely network limitation, not adapter). I performed all updates except the firmware update, same speeds, performed the firmware upgrade and back to .7mbps download but funnily enough full line speed upload... So I can confirm that the issue is the driver, not how the driver integrates with windows 10. I scraped the driver from my 8.1 install before updating the firmware. reloaded the driver and bam back to my 250mbps speed. Here's the steps below I performed to install the driver after I performed the update. NOTE: This was all done on 8.1, I don't plan to upgrade back to windows 10 soon, but that's for different reasons... This is 100% YMMV, proceed at your own risk (incorrect drivers can cause boot loops, blue screens, poor gas mileage, uneven tire wear, strange back hair growth, thinking Nickleback is a good band, loss of data due to unbootable/unstable OS). If you want to test on windows 10, I don't foresee that being an issue as it's the exact same driver publish date and version number BUT I could be wrong, so I'm not responsible for any issues.

BACK UP YOUR DATA! but heck you should be doing that anyway.

Drivers I scraped if you need it: **Can't post or link to them, feel free to PM me if you need them**
NOTE: these directions apply to windows 8.1 but should be similar in windows 10

1) download/procure drivers, unzip to a location easially accessable as you'll need them.
2) Open device manager, this can be done by going to control panel, administrative tools, computer management and selecting device manager or typing device manager into search engine, your choice how you get there.
3) click the dropdown arrow next to network adapters, right click on "Marvell Avastar Wireless AC network adapter" and click "Update driver software..."
4) click "browse my computer for driver software"
5) click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
6) click "have disk..."
7) click "browse" and navigate to the folder that you extracted the drivers to. click the inf file (should be the only one availble to select). Click OK.
8) click OK again.
9) if you see 2 adapters listed, make sure it ends with [12/22/2014], and if you have 2 of those, well pick the first one, if it doesn't work, go through again and pick the second one.
10) click Next. the driver should install. click close when prompted. it should prompt to reboot, do so. once you've rebooted go test your speed.

This is what worked for me, the only thing I experenced was faster internet speeds.

Last edited:

JDE100

So apparently the mods don't like links, even when they're to something benign and to something that'll help solve a problem that Microsoft can't/won't solve... now I'm attempting to add the file as an upload hopefully the mods won't delete it and hopefully I can add it. if it isn't here, PM me and I'll get the file to whoever needs it. I understand how frustrating this problem is and made me want to return my SP3 while it was occurring for me.
Just a note that this method worked for me. This downgrades your Marvell driver to the 12/22/14 driver that works well.

Thank you OP

barneytoe

I have 30 Mbps with comcast, dual band router (2.4/5). I have a Dell laptop & Samsung Galaxy phone that both connect at 30, perspeedtest.net.

But the SP3 only connects at 12 Mbps. Any idea why?

SP3 is running win10.

From cmd prompt, netsh wlan show interfaces
tells me radio type = 802.11n, Channel = 149, signal 68%.

thanks.

Noticing lots of WiFi problem posts which end up as duplicate issues so post them all in this thread.

kundas1

So apparently the mods don't like links, even when they're to something benign and to something that'll help solve a problem that Microsoft can't/won't solve... now I'm attempting to add the file as an upload hopefully the mods won't delete it and hopefully I can add it. if it isn't here, PM me and I'll get the file to whoever needs it. I understand how frustrating this problem is and made me want to return my SP3 while it was occurring for me.

it was me who deleted your link... you only have a post count of 1 so normally we don't allow links to be posted even tho they might/might not be benign and I know your trying to help! perhaps if a higher up wants to decide to keep or delete your post will be upto the higher up's ....

OP
leeshor

leeshor

As an FYI the forum guidelines prohibit any direct links to files. A link to a Microsoft or Intel page (for example) that contains the file download is OK.

emeritus

The same redemption story about changing Marvell's latest, nonfunctional wi-fi driver to a Marvell's Dec 2014 version, with some additional notes:

After changing in my SP3 Win 10 the Marvell driver version 15.68.3091.193 to an older one 15.68.3073.151, dated 12/22/14, which I downloaded from Softpedia , the internet connection speed rose from 2 to around 15-20. Also this speed is lame (compared to an external USB wi-fi stick) but much better than the abysmal newest one.

Because some updates install the bad driver again (happened to me), I chose in System Properties - Hardware - Device Installation Settings "Never install driver software from Windows Update", and in Update& Security"'s Advanced Option "Notify to schedule restart" and "Defer upgrades".

Perhaps this shields my SP3 from getting Marvell driver 15.68.3091.193 back before the next Marvell driver update will arrive.

kundas1

I gave you a reason for it and leeshor posted a reason why also below your post... if you wanna PM an ADMIN then by all means...