What's new

post your surface internet speeds!

OP
beman39

beman39

are any of you doing the test from your "SURFACE" and NOT your home computer? because a lot of you are getting way too high speeds! my laptop doesn't even get those speeds! lol

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
that is false! when I test my laptop to my phone to my Surface I get different stats or results, also each wifi has different power consumptions and speeds which affect what results you get... so with that said that is why I asked to post everyones speeds to see what the results are, of course there will be different results due to each persons speed plan they pay for.. as for all the other technical babble you spewed out about handshakes and key exchanges ect ect does not reflect the facts, which is I get different speeds for different devices!

beman - say what you would like, but I get the same readings from all of my devices,

Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook IvyBridge Core i5 4GB RAM

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Atom Based HTPC:

Surface RT:

They are within the 6-8 Mbps pipe that I pay for, we are in a 5 story condo with a shared pipe...

OP
beman39

beman39

Ok the reason why your probably getting the same speed between your devices is because your on a slower speed of internet, if you were on a faster speed say like 60mb/s then your speeds would fluctuate between devices like mine, my laptop I get 54.25 and my phone I get 34.15 and the surface I get 38.70 and on my computer direct line from Ethernet I get 62.80 so it all fluctuates because I'm not throttled by my ISP to 6-8mb/s like you are so none of your devices wifi can do their full potential which should be around 54mb/s...your basically stuck at the speed of your isp. see all the different results of mine?

LAPTOP

Phone
m4sc.png

SURFACE
1030-post-your-surface-internet-speeds-2927974092.png

desktop Ethernet connection

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is you modem also your router? I have a separate Modem and Router, the only way that I'm aware of that you're getting different speeds is if each of your devices are connected directly to the internet. When I'm at work we have a 180/Mbs connection to the internet, and just like at home they all get around 130-140/Mbs.

OP
beman39

beman39

what do you mean by connected directly to the internet? and yes I have separate modem and router as I have cable internet and to have high speed I need a special high speed modem...according to my ISP lol

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Then there is something wrong with your home network if your speeds vary that much....

Have you done the copy test, take a 1GB file and do a copy across the internal network and compare speeds to the same target. I have a NAS device, copying a 1 GB ISO on 5GHz "N", I get around 6 MB/s on both my Ultrabook using an Intel WLAN and on my RT using the Marvell, on my wired 1GB Ethernet connection I get 48/MBs (MBs = Megabytes per second, where Mbs = Megabits per second)

Last edited:

lostlogik

Interestingly enough, my SP posts download speeds 50% slower than my WP8 Lumia 820. Upload speeds are the same.

OK, accepting I don't have cable or speeds close to what you guys seem to be posting but I'm supposed to get 16Mb/s down, my Lumia gets 11 and SP shows 5Mb/s

OP
beman39

beman39

yea something doesn't sound right with your speed, but what speeds are you paying for from your ISP? 16mb/s? if that's the case then your Surface should be doing 16MB/s... see this is the reason why I posted this thread, to see if we are really are having trouble with our wifi's because according to jnjroach I should be getting faster speeds with my RT...

Omni

OK beman39 I admit that was on my desktop pc :tongue: and like you my surface only gets between 30-40meg max over WiFi. Im running 5GHz N wifi connected at 270Mbps when close and transferring a large file always gets me about 5-6MB transfer speeds.

jnjroach you say there is something wrong with his network but mine is exactly the same...

lostlogik

yea something doesn't sound right with your speed, but what speeds are you paying for from your ISP? 16mb/s? if that's the case then your Surface should be doing 16MB/s... see this is the reason why I posted this thread, to see if we are really are having trouble with our wifi's because according to jnjroach I should be getting faster speeds with my RT...

Yes, I pay for 16Mb/s (no cable available where I live). But you're right, in that my SP isn't d/l at max speed, with my Lumina being quicker. Not sure why though.