What's new

Postponing Gratification....

Wait for a Broadwell surface ?

• Total voters

Len J

Lol, that's what I'm doing, but it's gotten a little more complicated: it mostly does what I want it to do. I sometimes have to use my laptop instead. So the equation is now: is it worth a 2k investment to have something that I overall really like that handles most of my needs or do I get picky about it and just wait till something comes along that meets all my needs. (And as Frank has pointed out, that day may never come).
Would love to know how this turns out for you; I think we are in the same boat :)

Michael

I'm doing a photo shoot this weekend. Ingesting the pics in Lightroom and then processing should tell me what I want to know. In addition I'll be working all week solely w the SP3, so I should have a better idea for me.

I'll post a thread on my experience then.

Len

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm doing a photo shoot this weekend. Ingesting the pics in Lightroom and then processing should tell me what I want to know. In addition I'll be working all week solely w the SP3, so I should have a better idea for me.

I'll post a thread on my experience then.

Len
Would be interested to hear. First week after the release date here in Uk I'm away for a week and will have two photoshoots plus personal stuff to process so I'll find out then how it does i7/256)

malberttoo

I'd suggest you try one for yourself... there's an over abundance of negative Nellies on the Internet.

Normally I completely agree with this, this would totally be my advice.

I'm a developer, physics simulation involving heavy multitasking with basically 100% usage of each core, if I cannot get somewhat reliable timings out of an SP3 ( I'm not asking for good peak performances, just stable ones ), this is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

BUT since you already know very well what your needs are, and that they are demanding, then I personally think the SP3 is not for you.

Just my .02

ynohtna

At least you guys didn't buy the Lenovo Helix with Ivy-Bridge :)

I'm on i7 SP3 now... Nice thing is I can trial it for 30days and return it no problem if it doesn't work for my workflow. Don't you guys have the same?

Liam2349

SP4 may release in 8 months, I'm sure it will be less than a year. I'm not interested in waiting. I have my SP3 pre ordered, and as long as SP4 looks good, I'll be buying that too.

De-lurk;
Luckily for me - being in the UK - the "postponing" was done for me.

I've spent a good few weeks lurking on this forum - as I will be trading (selling) in an all Apple environment for the SP3 one, and it's a big step to take - both in terms of workflow and money invested in existing apps.

I agree with the earlier poster that there does seem to be a group of naysayers that pop up here and there with essentially the same message - "I'm a racing driver and the Prius I just bought won't keep up with the rest of the pack" (or some such thing)

For me, I'm looking for a valid reason _not_ to make the move as the SP3 seems tailored totally to my use case. Management, Macbook Air for work, iPad for everything else - MS Office, Web, Email .... usually management type things. In fact, the only thing that I can't replicate on the iPad is the Times and Sunday Times app - but I'm getting around that with a SiteSucker script that runs on my iMac at home each morning at 3AM.

Seems to me that the SP3 is almost a victim of it's own success. It so nearly hits 100% that [some] folks are horrified at the missing one or two. I honestly don't believe that anyone intelligent using this forum would believe that something of the form factor of the SP3 is going to replace a heavy-duty workstation, and I very much doubt that the unknown SP4 (or 5) will either.

Hard core processing uses hard core power (the electrical kind) which according to the world of physics, generates hard core heat. That's the way the universe works I"m afraid.

Re-lurk

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skylake will be better than Broadwell which will be better than Haswell which is better than Ivy Bridge which is better than Sandy Bridge which ... ... ...

Have you noticed they have a new one almost every year... if your waiting for the *ONE* you'll never stop waiting... Get out there!

I'm not saying you should buy one every year... but sometimes you have to take the plunge when the time is right.

After nearly two months with the SP3 I can't say I'm 100% satisfied because there are some bugs that just shouldn't exist but it's the best all-in-one solution currently available and will do everything I need it to do. I have spent a good bit of time poking and prodding this thing and I believe that the bugs will get ironed out in time and performance will also improve but that really isn't a concern for me anyway. I have no regrets and the only times I've used my laptop were for things I haven't moved over... Like my Garmin Ant Stick and all my swimming, biking, and running stuff for the last three years which includes custom scripts and analysis tools. There is an open USB port on my docking station though... :)

Broadwell will be better than Haswell and Skylake will be better than Broadwell yet there will always exist work not suited to a tablet form factor... but it might be run in the cloud not on your desk.

This is a time of change.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine 1776

Last edited: