What's new

Power cable fraying

wynand32

So, just to prove I'm not a complete SP3 fanboy, here's a complaint: I'm now on my second power adapter, the first one being replaced due to fraying where the cable attaches to the part that connects to the machine. Now, my replacement is also starting to fray.

Anybody else experiencing this? I swear I'm being very careful with mine, and don't use it in any way that would put undue pressure on the cable or connector. So, it's exceedingly strange that this would be happening.

I'm going to request another exchange from Microsoft, hopefully it won't be an issue. But I'd love to know at the same time if I'm alone here.

Edit: As I look at it a little more closely, it does seem like the cable is pulled out at an unfortunate angle where it connects to the machine. I can't figure out how you'd position the machine to avoid stressing that point--the cable should come out perpendicular to the connector, I think.

malberttoo

Mine is also. I'll try post pics. It looks like the jacket is receding from under the power connector, and now I'm getting some exposed ground wires starting to show.

malberttoo

Here's mine right now. I should call while it's still working and get it replaced...

SP3_Power.JPG

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Wow. That looks like the barrel has slipped down (off) the wire, based on the line around the cable a little further down. I would have thought it'd be molded on, or at least more securely attached.

I think that's precisely what's happening, and I'm surprised as well. And I've been very, very careful to unplug from the SP3 by grasping the connector and not the cord.

I too am curious to see if this happens again. Enough replacements and Microsoft will have to come up with an alternate design.

malberttoo

I have a feeling it has something to do with the new stiffer material or wire that the cable is made out of. SP1 and SP2 were not like that.

kundas1

yes! that happened to mine also but it seems to be working alright...so what do you do to get MS to send a new one?

Attachments

• 2014-08-12 15.03.54.jpg
    2014-08-12 15.03.54.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 918
  • 2014-08-12 15.04.34.jpg
    2014-08-12 15.04.34.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 910
OP
wynand32

wynand32

I had support call me back (there was a long queue for chat), and the guy didn't hesitate to send me a new one. Didn't have to verify with pics. It'll take 6-8 days for delivery, apparently, which would be a problem if the adapter weren't actually powering the SP3 (which happened with my first one).

I went ahead and put some electrical tape around mine. I didn't like the idea of the exposed metal touching the magnesium case.