What's new

Power connector /accessory options

Rich McCabe

New member with a P3 i7-512. I have been battling going digital with my paper Franklin Planner for 20 years. Tried everything, Palm Pilot sync, Franklin Software (sucks) and finally was able to make it work with a SP3 and OneNote.

Anyway I bought it with a Maroo binder which I really like except the kick stand does not have all the angles I need. I have a dock and Urban Armour case on order which of course are not compatible. Not sure I am going to like the bulk of the UAG but going to try it because case and kickstand. I would like easy way to Dock the SP3 to get gigabit Ethernet, charging and USB. Only care slightly about the monitor.

Since the dock is not going to work and I know the power connector has all the data pins in center was wondering if there was an adapter that allows you to connect one cable at power connector and get the ports?

Would love it in Microsoft made something that looked just like the power cord/brick with ports on the brick. All the technology is there to make this work !

surfdock

If you really need a case, your best option is probably a Plugable USB Displaylink dock or similar solution and the Microsoft power supply. You just need to plug two items in to dock. Its not terrible. I suggest taping the two cables together with some electrical tape. If you do it right, you can get both to plug in with one motion because the power cable has magnets to guide it in.

OP
R

Rich McCabe

Thanks for response and thanks for the link. Maybe the issue is I really don't need a case. It went directly into a Maroo binder deal when I bought it and maybe I just need to rethink it.

Another problem with the Maroo I failed to mention is its about impossible to take in and out easily. The corner things that grip the P3 are tough to deal with. So its really not an option for me to be switching back and forth with it.

Since I have a dock on the way, maybe I should just keep it in a sleeve most the time and use that when I go to a customers office. I have the UAG to fall back on if I need extra protection.

For some reason when I ordered the UAG I thought it would fit in the dock. I read that somewhere but its obviously incorrect.

Gegech

Hello,
I was looking at the Maroo case, i'm worried about the Surface Pro 3 over heating inside this case, I would like to hear from people using it before I buy this case.
I thank you very much for your help.

OP
R

Rich McCabe

Gegech, I have not noticed any heating issues. The cooling ducts are pretty much all open except corners. Is a really nice binder but I dislike the fact there is not a multi angle kickstand and its had to remove and reinstall from binder if you are going to do it often.

Gegech

Thank you for the answer.
The sides are open, but i wonder if having the cover on the back keep the surface warmer since the metal back part must help dissipating the heat also?

OP
R

Rich McCabe

I have not noticed any issues at all. But you are correct since the back gets warm any cover will insulate it to some point. The attachment setup is going to give some airspace so its not direct contact to cover. Not sure if that helps or makes it worse.

OP
R

Rich McCabe

It really is a nice case and if the kickstand was adjustable it would be my primary used one.

Let me know how it works for you.