What's new

Power Cover is coming?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It extends your battery life as it uses less power than an extrernal Bluetooth or 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard....

AllTaken

It extends your battery life as it uses less power than an extrernal Bluetooth or 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard....

Same logic as the touchscreen keyboard, do you think it's purely power consumption they're double speaking? or it's actually in the works?

I wonder if the backlight on the typecover is more power hungry than a Bluetooth keyboard/2.4ghz receiver?

As an aside, Microsoft took 3 years developing the typecover (above) during which they spent time engineering a wireless attachment for the typecover. I have no doubt that an entire 2% of typecover users (Made up figure, but likely) have one of these wireless attachments and no doubt it's invaluable to some. BUT - why?

Surely the power cover would be purchased by a good 40% of potential typecover users? vs 2% of potential buyers for the wireless typecover adapter.

Maybe the budget for accessories development didn't include power cover for the sp3 from the word go due to the size of the battery? I'm sure there is some whacky reason.

AllTaken

Possibly, but I doubt it. I was talking to a MS rep in chat on Saturday and inquired about a power cover for the SP3 and the response was "unaware of such."

That's like asking xbox support about an upcoming yet to be announced accessory - they would be unaware.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Same logic as the touchscreen keyboard, do you think it's purely power consumption they're double speaking? or it's actually in the works?

I wonder if the backlight on the typecover is more power hungry than a Bluetooth keyboard/2.4ghz receiver?

As an aside, Microsoft took 3 years developing the typecover (above) during which they spent time engineering a wireless attachment for the typecover. I have no doubt that an entire 2% of typecover users (Made up figure, but likely) have one of these wireless attachments and no doubt it's invaluable to some. BUT - why?

Surely the power cover would be purchased by a good 40% of potential typecover users? vs 2% of potential buyers for the wireless typecover adapter.

Maybe the budget for accessories development didn't include power cover for the sp3 from the word go due to the size of the battery? I'm sure there is some whacky reason.
Backlighting uses very little power, they are single LEDs under each key. I own one of the wireless adapters, I use it if I need the keyboard while in Portrait mode, I use it about once a day, but it didn't sell well from my understanding.

B

B'midbar

Doesn't hurt to task, you never know. I've had chats on-line with Lenovo people where they've given me a heads up on a series update way before the normal channels have.

drolem

My opinion is that the writer probably just 'leveraged' what was written for the SP2 without actually checking that there is a SP3 specific power cover.

However, I expect that MS will eventually release a power cover for the SP3/SP4.

B

B'midbar

My opinion is that the writer probably just 'leveraged' what was written for the SP2 without actually checking that there is a SP3 specific power cover.

However, I expect that MS will eventually release a power cover for the SP3/SP4.

Agreed. I've been tracking the SP2 power covers on eBay for a month now and see them go from $85 to $120 based upon new, used, etc. Didn't spring for one yet though as I am holding out hope that there will eventually be one for SP3/SP4, at the latest when (I think) the SP4 comes out late next spring.