What's new

POWER ISSUE: cord attached but periodically stops charging

SNLJ

welp...

i talked to microsoft warranty support (phone). they expect me to either:
  • travel ~1.5hrs to the nearest microsoft store to do a swap for the power supply, or
  • ship them mine FIRST then wait EIGHT TO TEN DAYS AFTER THEY CONFIRM I SHIPPED MINE before they send me a replacement, all the while not having a way to charge a $1500 tablet with a proprietary power connection.
i have dealt with both hp and dell (and dell/alienware) professionally and for home use, and they offer to ship first for warrantied parts that cost WAY more than an $80 power supply. with no questions asked. dell even offers to send an installer.

i love the surface, but that kind of warranty support is a complete joke. (keep in mind, we didn't even actually solve the problem or confirm it's a faulty power supply.)

apologies for the mini-rant.

When I had to have my keyboard replaced under warranty due to a key popping off, they sent me the new one before I sent out the broken one, so it doesn't sound right that you're being told the opposite. I suggest chatting with a different rep.

As far as the charger goes, the design of this adapter is horrible. The hard, sharp plastic cuff which surrounds the thin wire of the charger as it emerges from the brick is just asking to cause issues. I'm surprised it's not soft and flexible like so many other chargers.

OP
O

osirisdean

When I had to have my keyboard replaced under warranty due to a key popping off, they sent me the new one before I sent out the broken one, so it doesn't sound right that you're being told the opposite. I suggest chatting with a different rep.

As far as the charger goes, the design of this adapter is horrible. The hard, sharp plastic cuff which surrounds the thin wire of the charger as it emerges from the brick is just asking to cause issues. I'm surprised it's not soft and flexible like so many other chargers.

i talked to at least 4 reps over chat and 3 over the phone, all told me the same thing: as of about 3 months ago, Microsoft no longer ships first. oh, but they apologized for the inconvenience and said Microsoft is "always looking for ways to enhance the customer's experience." (apparently one way they discovered is to increase the customer's burden for returns under warranty....)

i agree with you about the design of the power cord. definitely not built to last.