What's new

PowerPoint scaling issues

doug301

Just got my SP3 a week ago.

I think I've made the best of the scaling issues using an external monitor, pretty disappointed about it tho.

Anyways, the scaling on PowerPoint always on an external monitor is not good. With PowerPoint, everything is huge (ribbon bar, etc) , while word, excel, one note, are all an appropriate size.

What's the deal with this?

Thanks

surfdock

Doug,
When you have the external monitor attached is the SP3 screen or external screen set as the "primary"? Whatever setting you have now, switch it:

- right-click on desktop - screen resolution
- click the display you want to be primary and click the checkbox "make this my main display"
-you may need to re-start Powerpoint for the settings to be re-set.

If you are using a big presentation Projector you may want the opposite setting. Sorry this is so frustrating, its not the Surface - this same experience happens on any new laptop with a super high-resolution screen. Hopefully it will get better in the next version of Windows.

BTW if you have a 21.5" monitor or thereabouts, you can try this tweak:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...on-with-surface-pro-3-dpi-scaling-tweaks.aspx

Last edited:
OP
D

doug301

I have my external monitor set as my primary screen. All programs look pretty good on my monitor, except for PowerPoint. It almost makes PowerPoint useless on my external. And then when I drag it to my Surface, it becomes way too small. Yet none of the other Office programs have this problem.

I used a projector with PowerPoint, setting the surface as the primary monitor, and the presentation looked fine.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We could use additional information, how are you connecting the external monitor VGA, DVI, HDMI or DP? What version of Office are you running? Is it x86 or X64? If its x64, have you turned off High DPI Scaling on PowerPoint?

bluegrass

I guess I'm really behind the eight ball Jeff. I purchased Office 365, which seems to be the same as Office 13. After starting PowerPoint, how do you tell if it's x86 or x64.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm really behind the eight ball Jeff. I purchased Office 365, which seems to be the same as Office 13. After starting PowerPoint, how do you tell if it's x86 or x64.
Under File Account click on About

upload_2014-10-17_7-53-17.png

upload_2014-10-17_7-54-17.png

If what I circled says 32-bit you have the 32 bit version installed

OP
D

doug301

I am using Office 13, 64-bit. I have not clicked the box to disable the high dpi scaling.

I am using miniDP to DP. Does not make a difference if I connect it to the surface or the docking station.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am using Office 13, 64-bit. I have not clicked the box to disable the high dpi scaling.

I am using miniDP to DP. Does not make a difference if I connect it to the surface or the docking station.
Try the Disable High DPI Scaling, I do that for all of my Office Programs and the all scale exactly how I need them to....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's old is new again... I remember adjusting things in Harvard Graphics pixel by pixel to get proper alignment then we entered a state of quiescence where everything worked. Now we have 4 different display connection standards, widely varying screen sizes and aspect ratios, cant we just use 640x480 forever. LOLlipop :D

enthuz

Thanks for your help Jeff. Mine says 32 bit. I don't recall being asked whether I wanted 365 to be installed 32 bit or 64 bit. If I was asked, I would have naturally chosen 64 bit since the Surface is 64 bit and it would be faster than 32 bit.

You would have to go into ADVANCE to change it. I'm testing it for my company. So far it is great. Loving the 1TB of OneDrive.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your help Jeff. Mine says 32 bit. I don't recall being asked whether I wanted 365 to be installed 32 bit or 64 bit. If I was asked, I would have naturally chosen 64 bit since the Surface is 64 bit and it would be faster than 32 bit.
As stated, it defaults to 32bit for compatibility, from a day to day perspective 64bit isn't any faster unless you do some very heavy lifting in Excel, I have some Pivots that contain millions of records and the 32bit can't handle that load...