What's new

Powerpoint Solutions

Woodyu388

You can use your Surface as a remote control for a PowerPoint that is running on your laptop. That's not quite the totally wireless Surface--->projector that you were hoping for, but from past experience, most wireless video transmitters can be a bit iffy when it comes to signal reliability because a lot of them require a constant line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver. All it takes is for your body to get between the Surface and the receiver unit, and the wireless video connection can drop out. (Had this happen to me several times.)

If you don't mind lugging your laptop and Surface to give presentations, there is an app for the Surface called RemotePresenterView that lets you wirelessly control the presentation running on your laptop. It supports inking with an annotation pen, and it has a laser pointer, slide sorter, notes view, etc. Basically, everything you'd get with PowerPoint's actual Presenter View, but touch optimized and wireless. It supports connecting over WiFi, and can create a private WiFi hotspot on your laptop to use if there is no WiFi available where you're giving your presentation.

Here's a link:
RemotePresenterView app for Windows in the Windows Store

There's also a limited-functionality free version:
RemotePresenterView Free app for Windows in the Windows Store

OP
souldier

souldier

I really appreciate the solution you gave woodyu. The only issue I have is the surface pro is my main and only machine :D. If I had 2 machines, that would sound like a really good idea.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In Windows 8.1 the Surface Pro supports Miracast and you will be able to get something like the Netgear PTV3000 and use it just like WiDi...

Dim-Ize

I use a cheap Playbook and Splashtop. Brilliant setup for my needs. Also AIO Remote Free for just navigation.

daniielrp

I really appreciate the solution you gave woodyu. The only issue I have is the surface pro is my main and only machine :D. If I had 2 machines, that would sound like a really good idea.

Darn! I was gonna say you could use the very little known about feature in PowerPoint called Broadcasting.

The idea is that you have PowerPoint running on the Surface, and you can get it to create a URL. You then open this URL on the second computer and it displays a live feed of your PowerPoint, so no wires needed! I once used it during some training I was giving - had the PowerPoint going on my PC, and had the URL open across 15 machines each one mirroring the actions I was doing on the presentation.

Need two pcs lol!

Last edited: