What's new

Pre-Authorization Charges?

Cupcakes

Hello,

I just sold my Surface Pro 2 that I bought at the beginning of the year for a pretty good amount and I want to pre-order the Surface Pro 3.

My thing is this. I am trying to choose between going to the MS store to do it or order it online. I am scared that if I order it online that I would get charged with a pre-authorization charge for MS to make sure its a valid card.

I do not have $1000 in my bank account right now, but I will when it ships. Have any of you received a pre-authorization charge for your surface pros or either version? Whether it was your first time purchase, second time, you used a new card, or you made a new account?

I am just wanting to know. I know they do not charge before shipping, well they claim it, but other places claim that too but still charge that pre-authorization charge.

Thank You :D

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

If I remember correctly they will put a hold on the amount. That isn't really the same thing as a charge but it would tie up the funds anyway.

fonzman78

Not sure about online, but I ordered mine at the MS Store today. There is no pre-authorization charge that in can see on my CC. MS Store said they wouldn't charge anything until I pick it up.

OP
C

Cupcakes

Thanks you two for your fast responses. I believe I will go to the Microsoft store tomorrow and pre-order. I am pretty darn excited for my pro 3! :D

Mikeyqp

Hello all, I'm considering preordering the sp3 when I get back into the states tomorrow. I have a question regarding the fastest way to receive the sp3 on June 20th.

Should I preorder it? If i do, do they ship directly to your address or do I have to pick it up at the microsoft store? Secondly, if they do ship it to my address, how long does it take to get to the address, I live in Los Angeles (Sorry if these are very basic questions, this is going to be my first time preordering anything). I was told from a friend (who had a friend) that his preorder of sp2 took an additional month to get to his place; don't know how true this is tho lol.

Should I just buy it at best buy or something at launch? Will they even have it exactly on launch date? What do you guys think is the best option for me to get it ASAP

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

In short, your best option is the MS store. You may get it a day earlier, or not, but if you get it there and something goes South it would be easier to deal with them. If you don't have a MS store nearby then that's another story. On day 1 I don't think you would get a better deal at BB anyway.

Mikeyqp

Thanks! So either way I'm going to have to physically go to a store and get it. Btw yes there's a MS store near by so I guess hats my route. Thanks again

tinycg

Speaking from experience, if you have an MS store near you, its the best experience... however if you have multiples near you choose the one thats most accessible / convenient because that will be considered your home store for the purchase, so you have to return it there, if you have issues etc... spoken from experience, it was a pain to get a replacement surface until an awesome employee basically transferred my info to the store closest to me vs the one I drove to because it was the only one that had the SP2s in stock at the time. Just wanted to prevent anyone else from making this mistake as MS's infrastructure isn't quite as good cross-store yet as it should be.

Eanderson

I perordered the SP3 and touch keyboard. I was charge $1 for each on my CC, MS will charge the full amount when shipped. This is how I purchased my Xbox One as well.

MDS

Hello,

I just sold my Surface Pro 2 that I bought at the beginning of the year for a pretty good amount and I want to pre-order the Suface

Thank You :D

Off topic but how much did you get for your Surface Pro 2, what were the specs of the unit - 128 -256 gig or what, and did you list it or sell to someone you knew?

JesseDiaz

The pre-authorization charge is $1, and is removed the moment it goes through. They don't bill till they ship.

i was not charged anything...I went back to the Microsoft Store website and still see my Surface Pro theree awaiting shipping..In addition..
I ordered the i5, 256MB version about a week and a half ago. My receipt says SHIP BY 06/20. i called Microsoft Store and in both instances, they told me that they could not tell me when it would be shipped. But they both told me that I would have it in my hands by June 20th end of day.

Anyone else get this story?