What's new

Pre order or store order?

oion

I think they meant when the SP1 was first released for sale did they ship it earlier.

OH, it makes sense that way, then.

I thought I read somewhere that buying from an MS store versus ordering online (including preorder) meant easier warranty exchange--something about not being able to bring an online-purchased Surface to a physical store for warranty exchange. That would be the biggest plus for buying at a physical MS store. (Not sure about other brick-n-mortars.) I doubt MS will sell out like they did with Pro1, though, meaning they should have a better handle on inventory flow now (as opposed to selling fewer Pro2 units, which I don't believe would be the case).

Edit to add:
Well, assume Pro2 preorder will work the same way as RTv2, my preorder says "Ships by October 21."

Last edited:

dellaster

I did consider getting my SP2 from a physical MS Store. But then I read the return policy on the website:

Items ordered from the Microsoft Online Store can only be returned or exchanged at the Microsoft Online Store.
Items purchased at a Microsoft Retail store location can only be returned or exchanged at a Microsoft Retail Store location.

Because I travel full-time, the store at which I made the purchase might be one or two (or even three) thousand miles away when I ran into a problem. Not good. Online returns via mail, on the other hand, can be done with just about equal ease and speed from anywhere within the continental US.

There is only one choice -- online -- for people like me.

Edit: that policy quote makes it sound like any physical store will do. Elsewhere on the site it says:

"To return products purchased at Microsoft Store retail locations, please visit the store where the original transaction took place or contact the retail store location via phone."

Last edited:

leahtt

This morning I preordered a 128 GB from a retailer.
I think the Pro will fill my needs adequately.
The iPad 3 seems so dated and I think that it is slower since I updated to OS7.
It's going to a family member.

Last edited:

dellaster

Looks like if you haven't ordered your Surface Pro 2 you could be out of luck soon.

I guess there might be some long queues at sticks & bricks stores. At the moment I see that the charcoal type 2 keyboard is "email me when available", Surface 2 64GB won't ship till the 25th, and Surface Pro 2 256GB/512GB units pushed back to October 29.

It doesn't matter what the reason is ― whether they didn't make very many for the initial launch or there's high demand, or a mix of both ― when the bottom line is that many people who didn't pre-order will now be disappointed on the 22nd and have to wait perhaps weeks if they don't order soon. Or they can try to get to a physical store ahead of others, like people do for iPhones.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

oion

I guess there might be some long queues at sticks & bricks stores. At the moment I see that the charcoal type 2 keyboard is "email me when available", Surface 2 64GB won't ship till the 25th, and Surface Pro 2 256GB/512GB units pushed back to October 29.

It doesn't matter what the reason is ― whether they didn't make very many for the initial launch or there's high demand, or a mix of both ― when the bottom line is that many people who didn't pre-order will now be disappointed on the 22nd and have to wait perhaps weeks if they don't order soon. Or they can try to get to a physical store ahead of others, like people do for iPhones.

There was no way for MS to predict how many units they would need; just like the 1st gens, the 2nd gens present enough risk in a volatile market that it would be easy to overproduce or understock (overproduced RT v1 and under for Pro v1). While it's true some people may be unhappy if waiting for brick-n-mortar availability--overall, it's better for MS if the products are sold out temporarily than to significantly undersell. The only downside to selling out is that device competitors will gain an edge, but as I mentioned in another thread somewhere, as long as those competitor products carry Windows 8, MS still wins.

That said, I assume my preorder will ship by the 21st like MS said on my receipt. (It has to! I need it for Nanowrimo!)

dellaster

What, Microsoft doesn't have an accurate crystal ball? How shortsighted of them not to purchase one. ;)

You can check your pre-order in your account at the MS Store. Mine still says the 21st, as expected. We're locked in.