What's new

pressing tiles on my homescreen doesnt do anything

macmee

It makes a gesture that I've pressed them, but nothing is happening.

God damn it Microsoft you useless company. I've never sat down and used this thing without some sort of bugs limiting me.

edit: forgot to mention that restarting explorer fixes it but it come back after 5 minutes. This is on a fresh install of W8.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
macmee,

I hope things have improved with your machine.

It sounds like your Surface Pro 2 is downloading the apps after your fresh install of Windows 8. While an app is downloading or refreshing, pressing the tile will have no effect. Sure, Windows should provide some kind of feedback to that effect so you know your hardware is okay.

GoodBytes

Yup. Software is updating. I believe you should have an down arrow on the tile corner showing this, if i remember correctly.
I suggest to wait a moment and let Windows finish it's maintenance cycle. If it's not doing the maintenance, you can force it to do it now and be done with it, by opening the action center, expand "Maintenance", and click on "Start Maintenance".
Now simply set your device to not go to sleep, and let it sit there, plugged in, doing it's thing. It will take a while, that is normal.
You'll know it's done when the action center icon will no longer show a black clock next to the flag, and just have the standard flag icon by itself.

Last edited: