What's new

Printer

Knuck

Open search.
Type printer.
Select advanced printer setup.
Choose add printer at top left of page.
Your printer should show up on the list.

bluegrass

I have my doubts that a printer that has wireless capabilities will just show up in your printer list. I think in most cases you need to go through the setup of the printer from the CD and choose how you want to make the connection. In the case of the Surface, I have had to copy my CD to a SD or thumb drive and run the install that way or a lot of manufacturers like HP have the install setup in their support page for you to download.

malberttoo

What @bluegrass said, you almost certainly must use the manufacturer's installer, which should reach out and find the printer for you.

The only exception to that would be if you were technical enough to give your printer a static IP address. If that makes no sense to you, it's totally ok :D and just go with the first suggestion!

Edit- Actually, I have to go back on what I said. When I set up my SP3 at home, it automatically found and installed my Brother wireless printer, all by itself. So it probably depends on the specific printer, but in my case I didn't have to do anything to make it work.

Last edited:

andersostling

I have my doubts that a printer that has wireless capabilities will just show up in your printer list. I think in most cases you need to go through the setup of the printer from the CD and choose how you want to make the connection. In the case of the Surface, I have had to copy my CD to a SD or thumb drive and run the install that way or a lot of manufacturers like HP have the install setup in their support page for you to download.

Mine did that. Epson wifi printer that I added through Charms/Settings/Devices.

grumpy

Edit- Actually, I have to go back on what I said. When I set up my SP3 at home, it automatically found and installed my Brother wireless printer, all by itself. So it probably depends on the specific printer, but in my case I didn't have to do anything to make it work.

Same here. I was rather surprised when my networked HP Officejet automagically first showed up on my SP1 without any intervention on my part. No need to install the overly bloated HP software. One of there very few pleasant surprises of Windows 8.

I suppose it depends on the printer, but the best bet is to install the latest software/driver package from the manufacturer.

leeshor

Some printer can be found automatically, especially any that Microsoft provides native drivers for. Some newer or not well supported models don't appear automatically. The great thing is that the installers for the printer software have greatly improved and ask in advance if it's wired, WiFi or local and then finds them.

Once upon a time you needed to fix an IP address in the printer. Not so much any more.

ScottyS

Yes, I recently got a HP Laserjet Pro 200 Color MFP. I just logged it into my home WiFi and my SP3 had it set as my default printer (I had no other printers) automatically.