What's new

Pro 2 registration and Free skype, Skydrive, Outlook etc. cancelled.

leahtt

I love my new Surface Pro 2 but....
While trying to get Outlook to work with email and speaking with the “support” person at my internet provider, while trying to use Outlet, he told me to cancel my Microsoft account. Following his instructions I did, but since then my Surface has lost my Skydrive, Outlook and now Skype account. Initially that was the provider's mistake but it should have been fixable.

I tried Microsoft support and according to them I have to wait 30 days before my account can be reactivated.
I filled in numerous forms online and spoke to several support people at Microsoft to no avail.

Evidently my DOB email and all the info I gave them is not enough to verify who I am.

I am thoroughly annoyed by this as my mode of contact with my sister and son living overseas is via Skype. To lose 30 days through no fault of my own is ridiculous. I am having to do my email through my provider's web site and that is very basic. I cannot even highlight a message.

I don't know where to air my anger but perhaps someone here can advise.

You would think that Microsoft would have procedures in place for such events. The Surface Pro 2 is not cheap and to be treated as I have is nuts.

Can anyone help? I'd be so happy to have my account restored.

oion

Wow, bad advice from your ISP. I don't understand the 30 days thing from MS. You could try airing your grievances on the official MS boards (link in sig), see if that might get escalation elsewhere, but are you anywhere near an actual Microsoft store? You might get better service in-person, maybe bring your original Skype/Skydrive coupons too if you still have them. :/

Creating a new MS account and re-registering isn't a problem (the warranty information should follow the machine as well), but the Skype/Skydrive...

OP
L

leahtt

Thanks Oion. I have signed in with another Microsoft account name I made using an Outlook email and password and posted on the Surface Pro 2 section.
My email address still comes up when I go to register using the email address that everyone knows me by so the Microsoft system recognises that, not my password, but it will not let me reset it.
I've talked to so many at Microsoft support and get nowhere. There are no Microsoft stores where I live.

Yes, I do still have the Skype key and also registered my copy of Office at the time I bought this Surface Pro 2 and Office 2013.

It seems unreal that Microsoft support says that it does not have enough verification for me or cannot reinstate my account.

Last edited:

Telstar1948

Surely there are other supervisors (supervisors' supervisor?) that you can talk to in tech support? Have you filed a complaint with Customer Service or some complaint mechanism at Redmond? Just shooting in the dark here, but I think there would be someway to get through to someone at MS who can make a sensible decision to reinstate your account with the information you have provided. It just sounds like the lower guys are stonewalling but a higher person would have the latitude to handle your problem.

OP
L

leahtt

UPDATE
Well, the 30 days were up yesterday and I am very pleased to say I was able to sign up with my email address and my SkyDrive was still there as was my Skype so today I am back to normal.

Also, I complained to my ISP and they found the person who gave me the bad advice of closing my account when trying to get email to work. He was a new person on the help desk and remembered me and also admitted that he had told me to close the account. He had been very polite at the time and was trying to help so I did not blame him. The isp are going to give him more training and also make sure everyone on the help desk knows not to tell people to close their Microsoft accounts.

Best of all the isp has given me two months free phone and internet (not tolls) as compensation.

I am very pleased to be using Mail with IMAP now and love the Surface Pro 2.

Special thanks to Oion and others who gave advice.

oion

UPDATE
Well, the 30 days were up yesterday and I am very pleased to say I was able to sign up with my email address and my SkyDrive was still there as was my Skype so today I am back to normal.

Also, I complained to my ISP and they found the person who gave me the bad advice of closing my account when trying to get email to work. He was a new person on the help desk and remembered me and also admitted that he had told me to close the account. He had been very polite at the time and was trying to help so I did not blame him. The isp are going to give him more training and also make sure everyone on the help desk knows not to tell people to close their Microsoft accounts.

Best of all the isp has given me two months free phone and internet (not tolls) as compensation.

I am very pleased to be using Mail with IMAP now and love the Surface Pro 2.

Special thanks to Oion and others who gave advice.

Glad to hear things got sorted eventually! Including the ISP issue.