Pro 2 Storage Question

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by charlienorthcutt20, Oct 31, 2013.

1. charlienorthcutt20

charlienorthcutt20 New Member

Me and my girlfriend are both upgrading to the pro 2. I use SkyDrive extensively and she does not. Can I activate both 200gb offers on my account and end up with 400gb total?

2. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    Fine print on the MS site:
    I'm guessing no. Doesn't mean you can't try, though.

3. charlienorthcutt20

charlienorthcutt20 New Member

damn that settles it ha that fine print is pretty clear, 1 per Microsoft account

4. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Just curious. I purchased a new SP2 and I've just read that your suppose to get 200 gig in SkyDrive. What do you have to do to get it. The store never said anything. I had and still have a SP1.

5. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    The coupons for the Skydrive/Skype deals are sealed in the Surface 2/Pro 2 boxes with the manuals.

6. hksrb25s14

hksrb25s14 New Member

How long does sky drive account offer last for?

7. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    Two years. Then it becomes a subscription service, $100/year if you keep all 200GB.

8. gman713

gman713 Member

$100 per year? If that's the case, I'll upgrade the SP3 to 256 GB and use Google drive or the base Skydrive size. It think it would be a wash over 2 years.

9. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    Because of the fine print, I never considered the Skydrive or Skype deals in my purchase decision; temporary bonuses of this nature don't count for anything to me. If I wanted to store a couple hundred gigs of data for mobile use, I'd buy a permanent solution like a portable USB drive or just split the data across microSD/USB flash drives. I'll be sticking with the base Skydrive size myself, which is 7GB.

10. bluegrass

bluegrass Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Oion. One thing you aren't considering. A lot of people have multiple devices that can access clouds. It is very handy to be able to look at a file on my W8 smartphone or my desktop at home. I agree with you that it's handy to have a small portable hard drive to backup data to but the fact that we can have data being syncronized to a cloud that we can get to from any system, including a friends, can be quite handy at times. I wouldn't really depend on it as my only source of backup though.

11. oion

oion Well-Known Member

My Device:
    S2
    I did consider that, which is why my post is written in the first person including phrases like "I never" and "in my purchase decision" and "to me"--which is a lot more than most people remember to do on forums. So whatever else is in your post is irrelevant to my case.

12. Booch

Booch New Member

I would expect many of you on this forum, being Microsoft enthusiasts, to have had a skydrive account for some time now. If so, check your account, you may have 25 GB of skydrive storage as I do.
    Can't remember when this happened (old age), but was a reward of sorts, for those who already had accounts at some point.