What's new

Pro?

oion

I think we are one or two generations from a desktop less Windows ecosystem...

Wouldn't that require "Metro-izing" all extant Windows software? Or even if only forthcoming ones, I just can't envision getting rid of the MDI environment completely...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It will be like the 16/32 bit DOS Based 9x systems to the 32 bit NT 5x systems to the 32/64 bit NT 6x systems of today. Those still using 16 bit software are a fraction small enough to not show up on any statistics but back then people couldn't comprehend ever migrating of them.

The Modern UI allows for new ideas that are not boxed by 20th century usability paradigms, We're starting to see BI Dashboards that have no reflection of the Tables of rows and Columns that are associated with the profession.

Progression is your Phone becomes your device and in the near term it will be desktop docked for a more traditional work environment but moving into a HUD environment with a 3d UI.

hypokondriak

Wouldn't that require "Metro-izing" all extant Windows software? Or even if only forthcoming ones, I just can't envision getting rid of the MDI environment completely...

Windows 9 or whatever 1-2 revs out is called might be theres, but legacy Windows (8 or 7 with desktop) will be around for quite some time. Just because Windows is desktop-less doesn't mean every app is re-written. Similar to how the A7 SoC is 64bit now - not every app will be 64bit for some time.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

ALLCAPS

I think we are one or two generations from a desktop less Windows ecosystem...

On this, I disagree wholeheartedly. I do game development, pretty much all day every day. I need Unity open. I need Visual Studio open. I need to be able to modify Visual Studio with Resharper. I need to keep a browser on screen with many tabs. I need to be on Skype and be able to see the chat all the time. I need to be able to build software and test it however I want, without having to jockey licenses or keys. I need to do all of this at once. There is zero chance of doing this using metro style applications. Even if all of these apps existed, cutting up my screen real estate into tablet friendly panes is not acceptable. Not being able to distribute apps outside of the windows store is not acceptable.

There is a lot, lot that would need to change in how metro works to even consider ditching the desktop.

Last edited:

oion

It will be like the 16/32 bit DOS Based 9x systems to the 32 bit NT 5x systems to the 32/64 bit NT 6x systems of today. Those still using 16 bit software are a fraction small enough to not show up on any statistics but back then people couldn't comprehend ever migrating of them.

The Modern UI allows for new ideas that are not boxed by 20th century usability paradigms, We're starting to see BI Dashboards that have no reflection of the Tables of rows and Columns that are associated with the profession.

Progression is your Phone becomes your device and in the near term it will be desktop docked for a more traditional work environment but moving into a HUD environment with a 3d UI.

I guess I'm just boggled by the idea that "snapping" windows side by side to multitask is considered so wonderful and new in these tablet OSes when you can cascade/stack and do all sorts of things to application UIs in a traditional MDI desktop--seems like a devolution. (Just how long did it take for 16-bit to really die out?)

But yes, I'm confident it'll be a loooong while yet. :p Sticking with Windows 7 on my desktop, anyway (tiles don't feel right unless I can poke them).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I'm just boggled by the idea that "snapping" windows side by side to multitask is considered so wonderful and new in these tablet OSes when you can cascade/stack and do all sorts of things to application UIs in a traditional MDI desktop--seems like a devolution. (Just how long did it take for 16-bit to really die out?)

But yes, I'm confident it'll be a loooong while yet. :p Sticking with Windows 7 on my desktop, anyway (tiles don't feel right unless I can poke them).

The telemetry doesn't support the Multitasking overlapping Windows scenarios, around 95% of all users use one App maximized and move between maximized apps, there was a small uptake in multi windows when Windows Vista/7 added the Snapped Mode (Side by Side) which lead to the design decision on Snap in the Modern UI. Even in Multi-monitor situations, one Maximized Application per monitor.

Keep in mind those of us who hang out on enthusiast sites are vastly different then those that post once or twice for help and then are gone.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On this, I disagree wholeheartedly. I do game development, pretty much all day every day. I need Unity open. I need Visual Studio open. I need to be able to modify Visual Studio with Resharper. I need to keep a browser on screen with many tabs. I need to be on Skype and be able to see the chat all the time. I need to be able to build software and test it however I want, without having to jockey licenses or keys. I need to do all of this at once. There is zero chance of doing this using metro style applications. Even if all of these apps existed, cutting up my screen real estate into tablet friendly panes is not acceptable. Not being able to distribute apps outside of the windows store is not acceptable.

There is a lot, lot that would need to change in how metro works to even consider ditching the desktop.

This is within the realm of likelihood in 3-5 years. What we see as the Modern UI will evolve just like what we saw through 3.1 to Windows 7 but at a more rapid pace.

Visual Studio is on a trajectory of becoming an Azure Service (IDEaaS) and the public at large wants the App Store Experience and for the first time in ages is willing to pay for Shareware.

We don't know what development machines will look like in the future, just like mini and mainframes remained in specialized functions I'm sure we'll see some reality of the power-rig but it will most likely live in someone else's datacenter.

Microsoft is already seeing this in Azure as dev houses are using IaaS to host their dev environments in the cloud, using RDP for development. This removes the depreciable expenses of hardware that needs to be replaced every 1-3 years.

From a gaming perspective, MS is testing a Streaming Service that allows Xbox 360 games like HALO 4 to be played on a Windows Phone.

Last edited:

oion

The telemetry doesn't support the Multitasking overlapping Windows scenarios, around 95% of all users use one App maximized and move between maximized apps, there was a small uptake in multi windows when Windows Vista/7 added the Snapped Mode (Side by Side) which lead to the design decision on Snap in the Modern UI. Even in Multi-monitor situations, one Maximized Application per monitor.

Keep in mind those of us who hang out on enthusiast sites are vastly different then those that post once or twice for help and then are gone.

Hmmm, good point.

It'd be nice if there was a Metro-style task bar I could pin so I could at least see all the apps/applications I have running. :p Maximized is not the same as full-screen, and I much prefer the former (and there's enough screen real estate on the Surface, in my view). Oh well.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also user complain about the Chrome in the traditional desktop, especially in Office or other Applications that have many commands and toolbars.

Your Taskbar is mouse hover on the left side of the screen or a press on the left side and it shows all of your open apps.

CrippsCorner

Because the Surface 2 is the actual Flagship Product not the Pro 2.

Unfortunately I think you have got a point there. I was watching Panos' Twitter whilst the new models were launching and he was saying how excited he was that the Surface 2 is coming out now, not a mention of the Pro. As I have expressed in other threads, I still believe this is the wrong way to go about their tablets... but what do I know.

Thing is, 'flagship' or not, the Pro should always have the higher specification, I think. It's not really fair to be paying so much more money to get inferior technology.

hypokondriak

Unfortunately I think you have got a point there. I was watching Panos' Twitter whilst the new models were launching and he was saying how excited he was that the Surface 2 is coming out now, not a mention of the Pro. As I have expressed in other threads, I still believe this is the wrong way to go about their tablets... but what do I know.

Thing is, 'flagship' or not, the Pro should always have the higher specification, I think. It's not really fair to be paying so much more money to get inferior technology.

If they dont go this way they'll never get the devs to transition. It is only the wrong way to go if you always plan on having a desktop, which they do not...

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

deldalton

If they dont go this way they'll never get the devs to transition. It is only the wrong way to go if you always plan on having a desktop, which they do not...

I think you're right. Windows are aiming for a Desktop-less experience. Personally, I do think that they need to push the Surface 2 as the device to have. Because, then all of those desktop applications I still have to use could be developed as a native Windows app. But, until then, I'm glad I've purchased the SP2 because there just aren't native Windows apps, of the same quality, available yet (for my needs, anyway).