What's new

Pro3 cant read external HDD?

wenhuifc

i tried connecting my HDD reader with a 2TB HDD on it to my pro3 and i cant seems to open it, the file explorer was able to detect it but when i tried to open the HDD, it stops responding, tried many times but still cant get it to open

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try it connected to a powered USB hub or use a USB Y cable and connect to the USB power port on the power brick. the drive probably requires more power than the SP3 USB port provides.

OP
W

wenhuifc

Try it connected to a powered USB hub or use a USB Y cable and connect to the USB power port on the power brick. the drive probably requires more power than the SP3 USB port provides.
its a HDD reader, it has an external power Source
it works fine on my laptop

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can only assume this doesn't present the drive natively and there's a driver issue. Perhaps compare what shows up in device manager to what's there on your laptop.

Or try deleting it and redetecting.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also, depending how it is configured and formatted it is quite possible that it is installed but showing Offline, go into Disk Management and see if it is listed and showing offline if so right click in bring it back on online.

OP
W

wenhuifc

Also, depending how it is configured and formatted it is quite possible that it is installed but showing Offline, go into Disk Management and see if it is listed and showing offline if so right click in bring it back on online.
it shows up on my file explorer but not disk management

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Screenshots???? How does it show up in Explorer?

Does this Hard Drive (please give us brand and model) have one of the "Virtual Drives" that runs an application?

OP
W

wenhuifc

Screenshots???? How does it show up in Explorer?

Does this Hard Drive (please give us brand and model) have one of the "Virtual Drives" that runs an application?
its a 2tb WD green drive

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    270.3 KB · Views: 521

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What happens if you plug the Disk drive directly into the SP3 without the reader device.

What shows up in device manager ??? do you have Other Devices that are unknown/don't have drivers?

Again what's the make and model of the Dock?

OP
W

wenhuifc

What happens if you plug the Disk drive directly into the SP3 without the reader device.

What shows up in device manager ??? do you have Other Devices that are unknown/don't have drivers?

Again what's the make and model of the Dock?
the HDD is a desktop 3.5' HDD, cant plug it in, the other devices are working fine, the dock brand is IdeaTools, it only says HDD dock station